Jumper wire in sub panel

CHI2

I know this can't be correct. This is a sub panel in the garage. I can't figure out why this jumper wire installed in this manner. Also the ground wires have me a little concerned as well. Sorry the pictures a little too close to get a broad view of the panel.

Image Insert:

200881922839_DSC08045.jpg

59.84 KB

Presumably the panel is fed from a 120-volt single pole breaker at the main panel? Looks like he wanted 4 120 volt circuits in the subpanel and jumped the main lugs to get both bus bars energized, albeit both on the same phase.

If the terminals (lugs) were rated for the small feeder conductors, and if the feeders were rated for the breaker feeding the panel, and if that bolt was a proper terminal for the grounds...well...that would be a lot of ifs!

Give the guy credit though, he did actually keep the neutrals and grounds separate, at least as far as I can see.

Hi Richard,

The sub was being fed from a 120V single pole breaker in the home. I was impressed (?) by the installers ingenuity in keeping the neutrals separated from the ground in the sub. Not what I expected to find on this one.

Thanks for the input.

• 1 month later...

I guess I am missing something on this one because I am not impressed by it ( Sorry guys....just my opinion ). However, I can't really see the connection of the grounded "neutral" conductors to tell if their was actual seperation at all since a jumper could exist that we can't see or the buss bar itself may be mounted to the panel in a way it is not isolated and so on.

I doubt that connection for the EGC's is designed for it's use...why not mount a grounding buss to the side....just as easy and would have better fit to the ANSI standards.....