For any of you guy's in decent shape that want to get in good shape, I highly recommend P90X. I have been doing different work out programs for years, and I have probably gotten the best results in the shortest amount of time from this one. It doesn't require anything other than some free weights and a pull up bar, and it will kick your butt.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitnes ... rs/p90x.do

You had better be in decent shape prior to attempting P90X because it will kick you butt.

I've done alot of different stuff over the years including heavy power lifting but I've gotten great results with P90X and its much easier on my body.

How about that Plyo routine Brandon?

My wife actually does the program with me and she can hang with the best of them. It takes some commitment but the results are real.

How about that Plyo routine Brandon?

Makes me want to puke right now just to get it over with [:-weepn]

Is there a wuss version?

Yes, there is a P 90 (minus the X) that people can do first to get ready for the X.

Their website should still have a list of minimum requirements to let you know whether you are ready for their programs.

they have one out that is a 10 minute version called the 10 Minute Trainer-- my g-friend has moved down to that one. She was getting too grouchy doing the other one. I have not seen the work outs so I can't recommend it.

Jim, once you heal up and get back into shape you are welcome to use my P90X [;)]

Originally posted by Brandon Whitmore

. . . Jim, once you heal up and get back into shape you are welcome to use my P90X [;)]

You're trying to kill me, right?

Actually, I'm open to any advice. Here's my situation:

I'm three months out from spinal fusion of the T12, L1 & L2. The fusion has reached its "initial set" but won't reach full strength for another 9 -12 months (or more). From this point on, the bones will only get as strong as I make them. So far, to that end, I've dropped 40 pounds, shed the back brace & cane and I'm walking two miles every morning -- half of it up some wicked hills. I do a physical therapy workout 2-3 times a day with exercises aimed at core conditioning and flexibility. I'm planning to return to work, part time, next week.

I've nearly reached the limit on my insurance coverage for physical therapy so in another few weeks I won't have that resource anymore. What I need is a structured plan to continue building core strength and flexibility while not over stressing my middle back and while avoiding plateaus. The P90X plan looks way too agressive for me at this point. I can't find any information about the P90, do you have a web address for it?

Any other ideas?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Jim,

Here's the P90-- I was starting to think I was a liar.......

http://www.beachbody.com/product/power90.do

Also, you might want to try this:

http://www.myfitnessquest.com/ I can't find any reviews for it, but it is tailored for people with bad backs.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I would get an exercise/ fitness ball and some exercise bands to get into shape. They are easy on your body and you can modify your work out's to not put any strain on your back.

http://stores.ebay.com/stretchwellinc

Been using them for weeks along with some small free weights. I also made myself a medicine ball out of a bag of rice.

It's kind of cool to use the excercise ball to sit on when working in front of the computer or when watching TV. It keeps my ab muscles always slightly engaged.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Well, this thread was just the inspiration (kick in the ass) I need. As some of you whom I now call friends know, I had a bit of a shaky year health-wise... my colon blew up last Aug. and a I had to have a hunk of it removed. I went in to the hospital again in Feb. to have all the plumbing re-connected and had some complications that resulted in a 2 month hospital stay. Since then, the internal scar tissue has come apart resulting in a couple incisional hernias the size of 3 month old kittens. Needless to say, my fitness kinda went south. End result - I'm now kinda weak and 250lbs. Time to do something about it!

Tomorrow morning I go back to the hospital to have the hernias repaired. I'll spend a few days in the hospital, then it's time to regain some fitness. I just ordered the P90X, and as soon as am able, I intend to put it to use (though I fear it'll be a while before I'm ready to take on that program).

-Brad

Brad,

If you have any questions about the program, don't hesitate to ask. Between David and I, you should get a decent answer. While you are waiting to start, I would follow the diet plan that comes with it--- it should help you quite a bit. That is unless you have a doctor ordered meal plan already in place.

It will take you some time to get up to speed to where you can get through the whole thing as designed, but it wouldn't hurt to try at least some of the video's. If I were you I would just use the program (modified 'til you are ready) as a kick in the butt to get you more motivated. Just take your time, hit the pause button, and don't do anything crazy.

Get well..............

Originally posted by Brad Manor

Well, this thread was just the inspiration (kick in the ass) I need. As some of you whom I now call friends know, I had a bit of a shaky year health-wise... my colon blew up last Aug. and a I had to have a hunk of it removed. I went in to the hospital again in Feb. to have all the plumbing re-connected and had some complications that resulted in a 2 month hospital stay. Since then, the internal scar tissue has come apart resulting in a couple incisional hernias the size of 3 month old kittens. Needless to say, my fitness kinda went south. End result - I'm now kinda weak and 250lbs. Time to do something about it!

Tomorrow morning I go back to the hospital to have the hernias repaired. I'll spend a few days in the hospital, then it's time to regain some fitness. I just ordered the P90X, and as soon as am able, I intend to put it to use (though I fear it'll be a while before I'm ready to take on that program).

-Brad

Jeez Brad, sorry to hear about the hernias. This has been a long haul for you. I'll send some postive thoughts your way for the next few days. Let us know how you come through.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I would get an exercise/ fitness ball and some exercise bands to get into shape. They are easy on your body and you can modify your work out's to not put any strain on your back.

http://stores.ebay.com/stretchwellinc

I agree with the fitness bands, etc. when you start out. Be sure to get right foods, good multivitamin, and at least a mid level protein powder (Optimum Nutrition, AST, etc) at minimum. Your body will recover faster and help with soreness and possible loss of sleep from overtraining.

I am a three time body for life winner at our gym and looking at naturals competition next year.

Proper diet is key. Often most people work out like fiends but don't "see" results. You gotta eat right to see the results. Eating right doesn't mean going hungry.

Take it easy on the P90X. Its not sweating with the oldies. Just pause or modify and work your way through the program. It takes a little while to learn the varying exercises but you get the hang of it pretty quick.

You will find you really like some of the workouts and really hate some of them. I personally like everything but the yoga. I do it but would rather crop tobacco in the rain.