What is this?

Jerry Simon

Originally posted by Jerry Simon

I don't think it's electrical, so if not, pardon the post in the Electrical Section.

House built 1914. This was in the second floor hallway. Inside, a tube, similar to a central vac tube. What is this (Kibbel)?

It looks like an old central vac system. They did exist then.

Pittock Mansion, in Portland, was built between 1909 and 1914. It sported a central vac system and an intercom system.

From the flamed oak trim in your pictures, I'm guessing that this was a high-end house that might have included such a spiffy innovation as a central vac system. Was it?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Jim Katen

I don't think it's electrical, so if not, pardon the post in the Electrical Section.

House built 1914. This was in the second floor hallway. Inside, a tube, similar to a central vac tube. What is this (Kibbel)?

From the flamed oak trim in your pictures, I'm guessing that this was a high-end house that might have included such a spiffy innovation as a central vac system. Was it?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Yeah...high-end at one time. Now a depressed area...historic district of Elgin, IL.

Image Insert:

200882013315_misc%20050.jpg

2195.99 KB

Originally posted by SonOfSwamp

The thing could be a speaking tube. Are there similar openings in areas that servants might have occupied?

Too low, don't you think?

Swell house.

Not...frayed, torn-off asbestos all over the basement heat pipes, insulated-over knob & tube, basement seepage so bad every support column base completely rotted, fire-damage all over the attic (mostly hidden by newer looking drywall), significant leakage damage under two low-slope roof section, stucco repaired by cutting tubes of caulk in half and mushing into place, Federal Pacific panel, minimal water flow due to calcium-clogged pipe...and that was some of the better stuff. Ya think they woulda fixed something over the years, but maybe not; neighborhood took a dive.

Handsome house, though.

WJ

Originally posted by SonOfSwamp

The thing could be a speaking tube. Are there similar openings in areas that servants might have occupied?

Too low, don't you think?

Handsome house, though.

Of course the hole was not too short. People were shorter in those days. Especially the working class![;)]

Seriously, though...it would be a shame to see that home wither away due to neglect.

It sure looks like an old central vac hose inlet. I've seen a few in residences, but many more in old office and apartment buildings. They called them "stationary vacuum cleaning systems". The earliest was part of the original construction of a 1910 building.

I saw one in a home that was a "hydro vacuum". It had a water powered "suction generator" in the basement. When you finished vacuuming, you would flush the waste into the sanitary sewer. It was really cool system.

A couple years ago some one posted a similar photo, and it was for an older electrical receptacle. Some one else even posted photos of a light fixture or a toaster(?) to go with that type of receptacle.

It's a different kind of cover plate, I know. I bring it up because I want to see those photos again! Anyone?

Originally posted by Jesse

A couple years ago some one posted a similar photo, and it was for an older electrical receptacle. Some one else even posted photos of a light fixture or a toaster(?) to go with that type of receptacle.

It's a different kind of cover plate, I know. I bring it up because I want to see those photos again! Anyone?

Receptacles used to be "sockets" before bladed plugs were the standard. You could plug in a bulb or appliance anywhere.

here it is:

www.inspectorsjournal.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3544