Effluent pump w/ stack vent in basement

msteger

This afternoon, I saw an effluent pump for a shower and laundry in the basement that was pumped into the septic system. A PVC vent pipe stuck out the top approx 3' with a 90° elbow. It did not vent outside and had no Studer vent. This looked wrong. Is this permitted?

Thank,

Matt

Most that I see have the vent terminating over the rim of the sink (including mine).

I've read several of the manufacturer's instructions and all state the vent should connect to an existing stack or terminate with an "in-line" vent (AAV). Gray water can get stinky.

Those instructions also list the uses of the pump as suitable for utility sinks, laundry sinks, bar sinks, A/C condensate and dehumidifiers. Never saw one that listed showers. How high was the shower above the floor?

Vent terminating over the rim of what sink? I'm lost.

The shower floor was only maybe 3~4" above the bathroom floor. This shower was an add-on approx. 20~30 years ago. Under the shower area was concrete slab, so the drain pipe runs approx. 15~20 feet into the basement and then into the enclosed pump. The washing machine's drain line, I believe, connects in the wall to this same drain line. I recommended having the PVC vent extended and terminated outside.

Question - in what circumstances can a Studor vent be used in this situation, if any?