Online Pre Inspection Agreement

I email all of my reports and I was wondering if you could put a Pre Inspection agreement along with the email and it basically says "by receiving or opening this email you agree to the terms and conditions listed in the Pre inspection agreement"

I have a hard time getting my agreements signed so this would help I have seen this on several websites so i was just wonder if it would legally work.

Legal folks have counseled me to get my IA to the client ASAP and as much "before" the HI as possible.

I e-mail the IA to the client (with tracking software attached) as quickly as I can.

Legal folks have advised that handing the client an IA "at the inspection" is about one of the worst things to do ... should there ever be a complaint filed. They have also suggested that attaching an IA to a report and delivering at that time is close to worthless.

This is not the say that "any" IA will fully protect any HI.

I focus on the HI and try to work closely with my clients in the hopes that the HI education I provide them will keep any such litigious thoughts out of their mind.

Originally posted by palmettoinspect

I have a hard time getting my agreements signed so this would help I have seen this on several websites so i was just wonder if it would legally work.

Why do you think you are having a hard time getting the agreeements signed?

When clients contact me, I explain that the state requires a contract between HI's and the their clients. I explain I will be emailing the contract to them later that day. In the cover letter, it explains they must, read, print, sign and make arrangements to deliver the contract if they will not be attending the inspection.

Most clients bring a printed copy of the contract to the inspection and want to give it to me before I start. Some introduce themselves and then apologize for forgetting the contract. I bring two copies to ensure there will be one for them and one for me. Never had any complaints or questions about the contract.

If the first time the client hears about a contract is when they show up at the inspection, then I would expect some resistence. Inform your clients up front, make it easy for them to have a copy and get it reviewed by their lawyer before the inspection.

As to accepting electronic signatures, that is a second set of questions and legal ramifications.