Anyone go packing?

I've been thinking about this a little while and just talked to my wife about it and now I was wondering what you guys think?

First, a few days ago I was to do an inspection or an agent. She was her own client. She called and said she would meet me there but hadn't seen the house yet. Well it wasn't in the nicest part of town, but OK.

Anyways I arrived and no agent. I called once she was 15 minutes late. She said she could give me the combo to the box and would I be nice enough to take pictures of everything as she probably wouldn't make it.

Anyways, I hang up the phone, stepped out of the truck to take some exterior pictures (truck still running for AC) when I notice a bunch of "young adults" approaching me. They come over to my truck, one looks inside the cab, another says something like "Hey nice ladder can I have it." Without saying a word and as calm as I could, I just got back in the truck and drove away. They shouted a few things and not sure what, but I doubt they were complimenting my shoes.

Anyways, after I drove away, I called the agent to tell her what happened. She replied, "OK, thats what I wanted to know."

I was floored. I was set up. See sent me in there to see what the neighborhood was like because she was too scared too. Then after she said that she wouldn't need the inspection now (like I would do that twice anyways) I informed her the charge was $100. She said i didn't do the inspection so she won't pay.

Anyways, I have a few questions and wonder how people here would deal with it.

1) Do you carry a gun? This is not the first time I'm been uncomfortable at an inspection. But this is the first time I was a little scared. I trust myself not to pull it unless needed, but sometimes the need comes faster when the option is available. Know what I mean?

2) Besides going to see the agents broker, is there anything I can do against her? No signed contract. She said she would sign it when we met at the inspection. So I doubt I would win in small claims court and I would probably lose the $100 and more in court costs. Would filing a complaint to NAR actually accomplish anything?

Originally posted by sepefrio

1) Do you carry a gun? This is not the first time I'm been uncomfortable at an inspection. But this is the first time I was a little scared. I trust myself not to pull it unless needed, but sometimes the need comes faster when the option is available. Know what I mean?

NO, I don't want to take the chance. I do inspection in the city of Gary which can be really bad place at times. There are some areas in Gary that I will not do inspections while other parts I'll only do in the morning (they are still sleeping from the long night).

2) Besides going to see the agents broker, is there anything I can do against her? No signed contract. She said she would sign it when we met at the inspection. So I doubt I would win in small claims court and I would probably lose the $100 and more in court costs. Would filing a complaint to NAR actually accomplish anything?

Call the Organization they belong to. Around here, every Realtor has to belong to the Greater Northwest Indiana Association of REALTORS (GNIAR). GNIAR has a page that lists the reasons somebody can file a complaint which is limiting. I'll look for it and post it if I can find it.

When it comes to the REALTOR, I don't think there is anything you can do. Legally, there is nothing you can do since there was no agreement in writing or even a common understanding when it comes to the way you were going to charge for this job if she canceled.

I bailed on an inspection for the first time early this summer. Like you I did not like what was happening around me. I've worked blighted areas before but this one scared me.

Do I carry a gun, no. If you choose to be prepared to use it and not hesitate. You should also confirm the concealed weapon laws in your state.

As far as another's ethics. How much energy do you have? How much more time are you willing to invest for the $100 or to obtain justice? Don't get me wrong. You were used. $100 is a cheap lesson. There are a couple of agent's I won't work with.

Originally posted by sepefrio

. . . 1) Do you carry a gun? This is not the first time I'm been uncomfortable at an inspection. But this is the first time I was a little scared. I trust myself not to pull it unless needed, but sometimes the need comes faster when the option is available. Know what I mean?

I've never carried a firearm at an inspection. I figure that, if I'm uncomfortable enough to feel the need for one, I shouldn't be there at all.

Smile & forget about it.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

The licensing law here requires the client to have the inspection agreement prior to the inspection. When I book an inspection, I e-mail the agreements with instructions. I require the agreements signed and returned at least the day before the inspection.

If for some reason they can't sign them, I have them e-mail a conformation that the inspection is on.

You should get into a routine that requires the agreements prior to the inspection.

I have a concealed carry permit but rarely have a weapon on my person. I do however usually have one in the vehicle and have on occasion placed it in my computer case on inspections when in downtown Jacksonville in some of the "nicer" parts of town.

Not much in the way of violence here in St Augustine outside of the occasional unruly beach goer.

I used to carry a gun for a living, and although have to admit that there were a few times I'm glad I had it, it is really not a cure all against danger. If you were carrying a gun on the day of your adventure, what would you have done? What would you have done differently?

As Jim stated, don't go where you are not comfortable. At this point, just smile and laugh about it.