College Football 2008

Phillip

The Tide surley did roll! I know you enjoyed the heck out of that. Their dominance on both sides of the line of scrimmage was, well....dominating. Can you believe that MSU lost? My Tigers have a ways to go with the new offense, but the defense was solid.

I'll be in your neck of the woods on Tues. Got a big house at the Yacht Club. Ever inspect anything there?

Tim

Originally posted by Tim H

The Tide surley did roll! I know you enjoyed the heck out of that. Their dominance on both sides of the line of scrimmage was, well....dominating. Can you believe that MSU lost? My Tigers have a ways to go with the new offense, but the defense was solid.

I'll be in your neck of the woods on Tues. Got a big house at the Yacht Club. Ever inspect anything there?

Tim

No, I can't belive the MSU Dawgs lost! They just gave it away in the last half of the game.

Originally posted by Scottpat

Tim

No, I can't belive the MSU Dawgs lost! They just gave it away in the last half of the game.

Dang, Scott, I thought Sly had turned it around (not that one loss means that he has not). With the parity in CFB right now, it can (and likely will) happen to anyone. Well, maybe not USC - that is one team I am glad Auburn is not playing in the foreseeable future. The Trojans are scary good.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I have done some in there. Which part of it will you be in?

Give me a call if you have time while you up here and we do lunch or a cold one and shoot the breeze.

205-333-0102

MS State did everything they had to do to lose that game. Special teams were a nightmare. Give Croom a chunk of the blame too, for not putting the far better passing quarterback out there in the 4th quarter, when they needed to pass to come from behind. Dumb. Yeah, he had three interceptions, but only one was on him. For some reason, State never wins the first game anymore.

I thought the Illinois offense played well in bursts, but not enough consistency or defense to take down Mizzou.

Bama looked good. Their QB played better than I've ever seen him do, and they were swarming Clemson all night on D. Clemson is #9 in the country? Please.

Kentucky showed well today, against a rebuilding Louisville team, but we won't know what they have until the schedule tightens up.

Think Hawaii has had enough SEC football to last it for a while? Florida shook off a rusty first quarter and torn the Warriors a new one.

I'll be pulling hard for Tennessee tomorrow night against UCLA. Go Vols!

Brian G.

Praise the Lord and Pass the Remote, It's Football Season Again!!! [:-footbal[:-jump2][:-party]

Originally posted by Brian G

I thought the Illinois offense played well in bursts, but not enough consistency or defense to take down Mizzou.

I'll be pulling hard for Tennessee tomorrow night against UCLA. Go Vols!

Brian G.

Praise the Lord and Pass the Remote, It's Football Season Again!!! [:-football[:-jump2][:-party]

The Illini's offense must have those offensive bursts when I wasn't watching[}:)]

I'm pulling for Tenn also, however they are playing in Pasaedena...

Frank

Originally posted by Phillip

Tim

Hi Tim,

I have done some in there. Which part of it will you be in?

Give me a call if you have time while you up here and we do lunch or a cold one and shoot the breeze.

205-333-0102

Hey Phillip,

The house is on Forrestal. Not sure what part that is. 7000 sq ft on a crawl. The buyer is a big shot in UA's athletic pgm. If we have time, I will sure give you a call. Never know what you'll run into on the big ones, though.

Take care,

Tim

Well Alabama did not look as good as they did last week.

But a win is a win.

They should win next week. (Western Kentucky) The weeks after this game Alabama will be put to more of a test. They go to Arkansas then to Georgia.

You have to expect a letdown after a big win. Bottom line is that they won.

Petrino has coached Casey Dick to back to back 300 yd passing games (that has to qualify as a minor miracle), so Arky could be tougher than expected. UGA is an absolute beast, and AU and UA will have to improve greatly to play with the doggies.

OM was very impressive to me. IMO, Jevan Snead is already the best QB (in the SEC) not named Tebow or Stafford. Nutt is going to make some noise in Oxford with that guy under center.

Not to offend anyone in the Buckeye State, But OSU is pretty much a joke (I know Beanie was hurt, but still...). I cant see how they stay within three TD's of USC, and they would be a 4 loss team in the SEC. One thing I am sure of; they are not the 3rd best team in the nation.

It's time to put the patsies behind us and get into some league play!

War Eagle

Tim

I thought Ole Miss played well too, barely nipped by a field goal at the end. Wake Forest got the win, but didn't look like a Top 25 team to me.

Washington got screwed. I can't believe any real college football fan wants an excessive celebration call on something like that. Are they not allowed to be excited at all anymore? Booooooooo! [:-thumbd]

MS State bounced back well against a lesser opponent, but we still don't really know what we have. Soon...... [:-magnify

Arkansas had to storm back to squeak out a win against UL Monroe, but a W is a W right now.

And to the surprise of no one who's hung around here through a football season, I agree with Tim about OSU. That was a very weak showing against a vastly inferior team. USC's gonna kill 'em. [xx(]

Brian G.

Tis the Season [:-footbal[:-fight]

Well Alabama did not look as good as they did last week.

But a win is a win.

They should win next week. (Western Kentucky) The weeks after this game Alabama will be put to more of a test. They go to Arkansas then to Georgia.

Petrino has coached Casey Dick to back to back 300 yd passing games (that has to qualify as a minor miracle), so Arky could be tougher than expected. UGA is an absolute beast, and AU and UA will have to improve greatly to play with the doggies.

OM was very impressive to me. IMO, Jevan Snead is already the best QB (in the SEC) not named Tebow or Stafford. Nutt is going to make some noise in Oxford with that guy under center.

War Eagle

Tim

I love my Hogs, but I honestly don't expect much at all from them this year. We barely won the first two against teams that we would blow out of the water in a normal year. The only good sign was that we were able to come back in the 4th quarter both times; we didn't give up. That may help later in the season if we can keep any games close!

Houston Nutt bailed out of here (under pressure) when things looked bleak. We had a good recruiting effort after he left, but we lost a lot of experienced starters and we have a LOT of freshmen playing. Talented, yes...but very young nonetheless. This year won't be memorable...in a good way, at least. Nutt DID inherit a lot of talent at Ole Miss. He's a good motivator, his strength (as I see it) is getting the most out of a player, especially those of average ability. Consider that a new coach frequently energizes a team and Ole Miss should do well this year.

In general, the SEC looks brutal this year. After we beat up on each other all season, the rest of the country may well have easier pickings in the bowls.

Also, no offense to Ohio State fans, but they didn't impress me either. But admittedly, ya can't judge from one game.

Either MS State is better than I think they are, or Auburn is way over-rated at #9. If they want to stay in the Top 10 the Tigers better develop some offense before they have to play Bama, LSU, et al.

USC wins easy, 35 - 3. There should be no way for Ohio State to be in the championship game this year. No way.

Brian G.

Get A Clue, BCS Committee [:-dunce]

Originally posted by Brian G

Either MS State is better than I think they are, or Auburn is way over-rated at #9. If they want to stay in the Top 10 the Tigers better develop some offense before they have to play Bama, LSU, et al.

USC wins easy, 35 - 3. There should be no way for Ohio State to be in the championship game this year. No way.

Brian G.

Get A Clue, BCS Committee [:-dunce]

I think AU is over ranked and MSU has a vey good defense. The QB play is just not there for Auburn. The defense is very good, and might end up being very, very, good; but the O stinks. MSU did play an inspired game on defense, and the punter was unreal.

I think we will see USC/Mizzou in the Mythical National Championship. Good teams with easy schedules.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Any Florida fans want to guess at the margin of victory over Arkansas this weekend? Two weeks ago, we lost to #4 Alabama by 35. last Saturday, we lost to then # 7 Texas in Austin by 42. Extrapolating from those numbers, one could predict a loss of 49 to Florida. Keep in mind that until that recent unpleasantness in The Swamp Florida was also a top-ten team.

OK, I know it's not that simple, (I hope) and I love my Hogs. But simply and honestly, we aren't that good this year. At least, not at this point.

Just for braggin' rights...does anyone want to go on record with a prediction?

(And we have #13 Auburn right after Florida.)