fire rated masonite ?

gtblum

This is the bottom of a staircase to an upper apartment with the basement stairs directly under it. (sorry the pic is dark) It's covered with what looks like masonite. The current owner told me during the inspection, that the city zoning inspector has blessed it off on his annual visit for years. ????? I'm thinking this has to be rocked. Please direct me to a reference. I'm coming up empty.

Image Insert:

2008919195149_073.jpg

37.96 KB

Originally posted by gtblum

This is the bottom of a staircase to an upper apartment with the basement stairs directly under it. (sorry the pic is dark) It's covered with what looks like masonite. The current owner told me during the inspection, that the city zoning inspector has blessed it off on his annual visit for years. ????? I'm thinking this has to be rocked. Please direct me to a reference. I'm coming up empty.

IRC R311.2.2 Under stair protection. Enclosed accessible space under stairs ashall have walls, under stair surface and any soffits protected on the enclosed side with 1/2-inch gypsum board.

Is this an "enclosed" accessible space?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Gary,

FWIW, NYS didn't adopt their version of the International family of codes until 2003. Prior requirements for your concern centered around the 1954 Multiple Residence Law. This law applied to three or more unit buildings. A portion of this law was eventually included in the Building Code of NYS. Most municipalities never inforced the MRL.

If you're inspecting a two unit, the NYS version of the I Code property maintenance code is your best reference.

Tom Corrigan