egress height for manufactured home

Chad Fabry

Hi Chad,

Well, you're in luck because the documents archive here contains a Code Comparison Summary Between the CABO One and Two Family Dwelling Code and Model Energy Code - 1995 Edition and the Federal Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards. Yeah, I know it's a little dated but I can't imagine the rules have changed that much, if at all, since the IRC became the dominant model code.

Exits, Doorways and Egress

CABO

Requires no less thanone conforming exit, with no requirements on the location of the exit

MHCSS

Requires no less than two exterior exits, and limits the distance from any bedrom to the nearest exit to 35ft.

CABO

Conforming exit doors no less than 3ft. wide and 6ft.8in. tall. Hallwyas no less than 3ft. wide.

MHCSS

Conforming exit doors no less than 2ft.4in. wide and 6'2"tall. Hallways no less than 2ft.4in. wide.

CABO

Not addressed

MHCSS

Egress doors not to be located in a room with a lockable interior door. Includes several other provisions relating to required hardware for interior and exterior doors.

CABO

On windows designed for emergency egress, sill height no more than 44in. high. CABO does not limit height of operating hardware, or require operating instructions posted on the window.

MHCSS

On windows designed for emergency egress, sill height must be no more than 36in. high, with operating hardward not more than 54in. high. Operating instructions must be permanently posted on the window. Each bedroom must have an egress window or an exterior door.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by Jim Katen

Originally posted by Steven Hockstein

Has anyone ever seen a fireman enter or exit a burning house through an open window?

In my experience, they tend to be free with their axes.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

You would almost expect that from the volunteers, but the worst one I ever saw was the full timers that took out every door and window over a little grease fire. The repair cost on what was axed was ten times that of the fire damage.

Tom

Has anyone ever seen a fireman enter or exit a burning house through an open window?

Steve,

I don't know if you remember about 8 years ago, around Christmas time, an entire family in the Cloverhill section of Flanders died in a fire caused by aluminum wiring.

The Fire Department found all but one member of the family huddled near a 2nd floor window; they just couldn't get out in time.

Originally posted by Darren

Steve,

I don't know if you remember about 8 years ago, around Christmas time, an entire family in the Cloverhill section of Flanders died in a fire caused by aluminum wiring.

The Fire Department found all but one member of the family huddled near a 2nd floor window; they just couldn't get out in time.

Darren,

That was really sad and horrible.

My point was that so many people get hung up on the size of the opening claiming that it is for a fireman to be able to get through with their equipment when in reality the firemen often make their own openings in the building.

Hope to see you at the next ALPHI meeting.

Steve

As a fireman, I've done both. I've even seen a closed window used as an exit once.

My brother-in-law is a volunteer fireman, and has gone pack first through a picture window. Fire fighters are trained to find their way out, egress is for the occupants.

I think that the greater egress requirements for trailers is due to a couple of factors; one, they burn faster, and two, the doors are often on the same side limiting paths to exits.

Tom