30 years from now

gtblum

Well,

I'm old enough to remember the tall horse-drawn milk, vegetable and ice wagons that used to stop in front of our apartment building when I was a toddler. I suspect the only reason was that we still had those then was that it was a farming community and was (and still is) more of a hamlet than a town. We had a big brown icebox with a metal lining and the ice guy used to come in and put big blocks of ice in it a couple times a week; or so it seemed.

Still, we had a TV set; a big black box that stood on high steel legs. The knobs were at the two top corners of the set - too high for me to reach (I tried - I was able to reach the vertical and horizontal hold and brightness knobs though). My father used to spend a lot of time fiddling with a set of rabbit ears on top of the thing trying to pull in the one clear station that we got so that he could watch Perry Como. I still remember the day my mother walked us down the street to Dr. Larkin's office to get booster shots and when we came home the set was out on the front lawn with smoke pouring out of it and a big red truck and a bunch of fireman standing around. Man, was the old man pissed!

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I still see these in some new homes. With digital TV now here and subchannels that the cable companies and satellite TV providers don't offer, using an antenna is the perfect way to watch these digital subchannels. TV antennas are making a comeback. Also, since most newer home owner associations 'forbid' outside antennas, the attic is the perfect place for them. You may need these if you want to watch your local Weather Plus, Retro TV Network, My Network, etc. affiliates.

Originally posted by Kyle Kubs

Originally posted by hausdok

Hell,

I've already had yuppi homebuyers who've bought older homes, saw those in attics, and had absolutely no idea what they were.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Same here. Just two weeks ago some young kids buying the house did exactly that. Which of course means, we're even older than we think.

I humbly suggest that ya'll are not looking at this in the right light. With age comes wisdom -- or so I hear. Instead of feeling old, consider how all-knowing you will appear to these young buyers when you can not only identify, but also explain the uses of all these "weird" things in their "really old" house from the 70's!

Image Insert:

2008922212659_PHONE.jpg

65.76 KB

You ever try to show a kid how a rotary phone works? Talk about a look of sheer incredulous astonishment. "It took that long to dial a number? You're kidding me, right?" The horror.

How about those big, mean-ass tongs the ice man would use to carry that honkin block of ice to the kitchen ice box? Hate to get those around your skull.

I've personally only heard about such things from my great, great grandpa and Mike O.

Originally posted by Mike Lamb

I've personally only heard about such things from my great, great grandpa and Mike O.

Well, for the record, I only turned 57 last Thursday and I'm younger than a lot of the rest of you.

I think I was just born in a unique time and place where a very small hick town was just beginning, because it was post WWII and the middle of the Korean war and more and more people were buying cars, to spread its wings a little bit and pull itself into the second half of the century along with everyone else.

I don't ever remember seeing those horses and wagons again after we moved to the apartment behind the Akelman's and the milkman bought himself a milk truck that year with a funny rounded nose on it that I recall looked kind of like the hood on a Citroen 2CV. That was the year my mom got a washer and clothes dryer and I put my little brother in the dryer. I never did get to spin him though; I still couldn't reach those danged knobs! I still remember what that whuppin' felt like. [:-weepn]

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Heh, heh,

About 6-8 years ago, during the non-compete after I sold my franchise, a lady I did work for asked me to haul away a cabinet full of 33rpm albums and reel-to-reel tapes and a reel-to-reel tape recorder. She didn't want them and said they were taking up too much room. I hauled it all away, alright, right to my storage bin where they're waiting for the day that they become as valuable as old comic books. Someday.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Dunno,

They're all over in storage; I never bothered to play them. Hmm, maybe I've got some dirt on someone there. Maybe the sound of the Mayor doing a deal to purchase a kewpie doll or sumpin. I should go check 'em out.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Or 18-1/2 minutes of Nixon's voice . . .

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Jim Katen

Dunno,

They're all over in storage; I never bothered to play them. Hmm, maybe I've got some dirt on someone there. Maybe the sound of the Mayor doing a deal to purchase a kewpie doll or sumpin. I should go check 'em out.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Or 18-1/2 minutes of Nixon's voice . . .

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Now that'd be worth something.

OT - OF!!!

M.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by msteger

I still see these in some new homes. With digital TV now here and subchannels that the cable companies and satellite TV providers don't offer, using an antenna is the perfect way to watch these digital subchannels. TV antennas are making a comeback. Also, since most newer home owner associations 'forbid' outside antennas, the attic is the perfect place for them. You may need these if you want to watch your local Weather Plus, Retro TV Network, My Network, etc. affiliates.

We don't have cable and recently got a digital box for the TV. The sub-channels are handy and the 24-hour weather is nice.