Is this what I think it is?

sepefrio

A little background info. 1941 house. Home inspection for a client who is having some problems in her home, this house is not for sale. While talking with the owner of the house, she mentioned her husband and mother both died of cancer. Also in the time I was there, she herself smoked dang near a whole pack of cigarettes.

I know nothing can be said 100%, but I think I'm looking at asbestos here. Anyone think I'm taking a leap by thinking two cancer deaths and the ceiling tiles may be linked?

Would you say something besides have it tested?

Image Insert:

2008929224255_CeilingTile1.jpg

141.81 KB

Image Insert:

2008929224332_CeilingTile2.jpg

148.71 KB

Image Insert:

2008929224351_CeilingTile3.jpg

141.4 KB

Originally posted by sepefrio

A little background info. 1941 house. Home inspection for a client who is having some problems in her home, this house is not for sale. While talking with the owner of the house, she mentioned her husband and mother both died of cancer. Also in the time I was there, she herself smoked dang near a whole pack of cigarettes.

I know nothing can be said 100%, but I think I'm looking at asbestos here. Anyone think I'm taking a leap by thinking two cancer deaths and the ceiling tiles may be linked?

Would you say something besides have it tested?

If they were 12x12 tiles, they sure look like Firtex -- one of the few older building products that never contained asbestos.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Those tiles/asbestos have nothing to do with it (non expert opinion disclaimer here).

The nicotine crud from the tobacco smoke likely sealed the tiles long ago. I would guess that everything in that house was sticky? The same sticky stuff that prevented the asbestos fibers from flying airborne prevented their lungs from functioning adequately and led to cancer..........

Just a guess here.