Bogus Electrical Panel Labels! Microwave, etc.

Billy_Bob

I read on another forum where a homeowner had his/her home inspected. The inspector looked at the electric panel and everything was wired nicely to code for a recent remodel.

Separate circuit for microwave, etc. per labels on panel.

However the microwave is not on its own circuit! The bathroom is on the same circuit with gas range, microwave, and dishwasher.

So things are not as they were labeled!

Here is the post...

http://www.diychatroom.com/showthread.p ... post168425

Originally posted by Billy_Bob

I read on another forum where a homeowner had his/her home inspected. The inspector looked at the electric panel and everything was wired nicely to code for a recent remodel.

Separate circuit for microwave, etc. per labels on panel.

However the microwave is not on its own circuit! The bathroom is on the same circuit with gas range, microwave, and dishwasher.

So things are not as they were labeled!

I'm shocked!

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Hi,

I don't know what basis there could be for a lawsuit. I don't know about most of the brethren, but I sure as hell don't try and verify whether all of the receptacles in a house are on specific breakers or even whether the breakers are all accurately labeled. Who the hell has time for that? I sure as hell don't and my inspections are generally about twice as long as the average inspector's.

Half the time, the breaker configuration in panels has been altered several times by the time an inspector looks at the panel and by then, as Jim states, the labels are mostly fantasy. If the house was remodeled, the owners likely relied on the "electrician" to accurately label the panel and the city inspector to verify that everything was done correctly. Most owners don't have had any way of knowing that certain receptacles are incorrectly shared by other unrelated circuits.

Of course, we all know that anyone can sue anyone for just about anything.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I caught some heat once because a homeowner remodeled a kitchen and tapped into the gas furnace circuit. When the seller moved in, every time he used an appliance plugged into a counter-top outlet, the breaker tripped and killed the furnace's blower.

Thankfully, the buyer understood my position and I escaped unscathed.

I would most certainly call this out IF you found it. People under estimate the dangers to a DIYer when a panel is improperly labeled or labeled wrong on purpose. Their is a reason for every requirement in the National Electrical Code regardless of the date of construction. The reason is CHANGE and with change we find errors in understanding, concepts that are better learned each cycle and an ongoing debate over things that are a minimum safety standard.

Yes......if this was found and someone paid for a recent remodel I would call it out.....MOST CERTAINLY !