Energy Audits Becoming A Hot Item

hausdok

Just curious how many of you guys are performing energy audits? I have thought about getting into them but where do you start? Education, equipment (what is recommended, do u really need a blower door and infared camera?) software, etc. and for all of you guys who are performing energy audits how are you marketing them? Newspaper ad, direct mail, flyers? Just curious thanks for the input.

I have done one or two. I let the customer know mine is a visible inspection. No IR and a lot less $. It's more a weatherization inspection and a conservation of energy audit. Most clients can save a bunch just by tightening up the house, turning things off and upgrading some insulation and appliances.

It may not be a true audit but my customers seem to feel they get their monies worth.

Check with your state to see if they sponsor any type of Energy Star Home Performance HPwES training. In Missouri the state provides grants to train contractors in conducting Home Energy Audits. It cost the contractor $1000 for the training, once they are certified the state puts them on a referral list. They must “test inâ€

I have thought about doing these, but when asking other inspectors who have been certified (by Energy Tune-Up) to do these, they get very little or no business from this service. Sounds like a service that would be in high demand, but it seems people just don't want to pay for the extra service. Of course, it all depends upon how it is marketed. Not fully sure how the people I have talked to about energy audits marketed the service, however.

I started doing mold testing in 2003 or 2004 and thought it was be a good money maker. After 12 months, I came to realize that taking the ESA classes, getting mold insurance, getting certified, and buying the equipment was not all that it was cracked up to be. I am sort of reluctant to get into Energy Audits for this reason.