Submerged well pump

Bill Kibbel

The pump is a three-quarter h/p new this year. the hydropneumatic tank and pump control switch were replaced at the same time.

The pump would cut-in at 30 psi, but then immediately the pressure would drop to almost zero and flow would completely stop to any fixture. I would have to shut off fixtures for the pressure to build up and eventually the pump would cut off at 50 psi. I did this for 6 cycles and even attached my own gauge with the same results each time. The seller claims there is a filter built into the pump and it automatically backwashes every 45 minutes.

A large majority of the inspections I get have submerged pumps and I have never had this happen, nor have I heard of a filter at the pump with auto backwash. Even if there is some type of filter, I can't imagine this is supposed to happen.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on. Any ideas or theories would be appreciated.

The pressure preset in the tank is too high. The air pressure in the empty tank with a 30/50 switch should be about 27 lbs. That'll leave some water in the tank before the pump kicks in at 30lbs. There's a schrader tire style valve at the top of the tank where you can adjust the pressure.

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

The pressure preset in the tank is too high. The air pressure in the empty tank with a 30/50 switch should be about 27 lbs. That'll leave some water in the tank before the pump kicks in at 30lbs. There's a schrader tire style valve at the top of the tank where you can adjust the pressure.

That ran through my mind, but why would the flow drop dead when the pump kicked in? Even w/ no tank, the flow will surge & drop as the switch clicks on and off.

I ran this by my pump guru @ the cottage, & he just looked @ me w/ that "huh?" look.

I'm workin' on it; this is cornfusin'.......

Thanks for the responses guys.

Mr. Captain, Here we have a drain valve after the tank, but before the main shut off.

The listing agent turned out to be the selling agent at my afternoon inspection today. He said that the installer is scheduled for Friday afternoon.