More Pool info pleeez

DonTx

Is there any book, video, published tech paper, etc that will tell you the proper sequence to turn the valves to obtain certain functions? Especially those three way valves.

I've heard you should never backwash a filter so I try to be very careful with any valves and lines going to the filters.

Donald

Donald,

In my cursory pool inspections I don't move any valves, and it is so stated on my report. If the seller is around I will enlist him in the inspection and let him "show" the buyer how everything works. Most sellers are proud of their pools and feel honored to help.

I also automatically recommend a "pool school" from a qualified pool contractor as part of every pool inspection.

Donald,

As familiar with swimming pools and spas as I am neither I, nor my inspectors, test the various valves associated with the system unless they are clearly identified as to their function. The reason for this is that there is no standard for installing said valves. If you don't know the function of the individual valves and go ahead and adjust them you may find yourself in deep trouble. Depending on the installation, if you move the wrong valve out of sequence, you may cause permanent damage to the system. I tell my clients to have either the homeowner or swimming pool service contractor, who is taking care of the pool, to walk him/her through the operation of the system. There is no published document which you can read that will detail the installation and inspection of the systems valve operation. In short, stay away from it.

NORM SAGE

Thanks Norm and Paul,

That is my current practice. If it's not labeled, I don't mess with it. I was just curious if there were instructions for operating the equipment. I've found some vague info on the 'Net. I'm also currently talking to a pool contractor to work out a deal to take me along on some of their inspections.

Donald