crumbling flue liner

Originally posted by hausdok

Hi,

Old oil furnaces often spew a lot of sulphur. It coats the flue tile, gets wet and the mixture saturates the tile. Sulphur + water = ?

OT - OF!!!

M.

Combining sulphur dioxide and water produces what is commonly called acid rain. I am wondering where the current comes in to play, and how the current acts on the flue tile (failure mode). If the damage is caused by electrolysis, there would still have to be a source for the current, wouldn't there?

Tim

Originally posted by Tim H

. . . Combining sulphur dioxide and water produces what is commonly called acid rain. I am wondering where the current comes in to play, and how the current acts on the flue tile (failure mode). If the damage is caused by electrolysis, there would still have to be a source for the current, wouldn't there?

Tim

I believe that Jerry's comment about current in the chimney was a humorous reference to another, recurring, thread about blackening of copper pipe and whether or not it has to do with current in the pipe.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Jim Katen

Originally posted by Tim H

. . . Combining sulphur dioxide and water produces what is commonly called acid rain. I am wondering where the current comes in to play, and how the current acts on the flue tile (failure mode). If the damage is caused by electrolysis, there would still have to be a source for the current, wouldn't there?

Tim

I believe that Jerry's comment about current in the chimney was a humorous reference to another, recurring, thread about blackening of copper pipe and whether or not it has to do with current in the pipe.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thanks Jim,

I was beginning to wonder if my question was just too dumb to be answered. I guess it was. Whole thing went right over my head.