TIJ Lending Library

hausdok

OK, so I had this idea; I have all of these references here and the list has recently gotten bigger when Douglas Hansen sent me a couple boxes of references and told me to find a good use for them, so what if TIJ had a lending library?

Folks could go to the menu, choose "lending library " and then browse the selection there. I could list the weight of the book or CD that they want next to the item on the menu. If they find a book they want, they send us an email to reserve the book and follow that up by sending me a weight-appropriate pre-paid return mailer. I send them the book and then when they're done with it they send it back.

So folks, waddayu think?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by Tom Raymond

I think you should scan them all page by page and add them to the library here. [:-bigeyes

In the mean time your idea sounds like a great stop gap!

Tom

Yikes!

If I did that, I'd have to charge everyone some kind of outrageous and exorbitant access fee; something like a buck a month or maybe even $1.05 a month. Everyone would go bye-bye. [:-weepn]

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by hausdok

OK, so I had this idea; I have all of these references here and the list has recently gotten bigger when Douglas Hansen sent me a couple boxes of references and told me to find a good use for them, so what if TIJ had a lending library?

Folks could go to the menu, choose "lending library " and then browse the selection there. I could list the weight of the book or CD that they want next to the item on the menu. If they find a book they want, they send us an email to reserve the book and follow that up by sending me a weight-appropriate pre-paid return mailer. I send them the book and then when they're done with it they send it back.

So folks, waddayu think?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I say there should be a fee.

When someone borrows one of the references, he or she has to scan it and upload it to the library to "pay" for borrowing it.

Spread the hassle around.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I love the lending idea. But as for Jim's, seeing how this is a rather official web site, wouldn't that be copy right infringement?

One thing I would ask, for those of us who are too lazy or impatient to send a pre-paid envelope, is something like paypal available to pay shipping costs? Although that is a whole new headache.

Hi,

I'm sure that Tom and Jim are both joking about the scanning. I dunno about this Pay Pal thing; I've never used it so I don't know whether it will be too much of a hassle or not. Given the limited time I have to dink around with a lot of extra stuff, in my mind the self-addressed pre-paid mailer made the most sense. I'm still struggling with whether I'd require some kind of security deposit on the reference until I got it back. It kind of belies the idea of a free lending library to require a deposit for someone to borrow a book, but I've loaned a couple of my references out before and never saw them again.

I'm going to begin compiling a list of the stuff that I've got while I wait for more input. You know, maybe this doesn't need to be just me. If we came up with a pretty good way to do this, that will provide reassurance that one's references will be returned, maybe we could develop a network of folks who'd be willing to participate.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by RickSab

Also how do you insure it's return?

I think the idea has great merit.

Hi, I was thinking that we could do it like when one reserves an airline ticket or a hotel room; they make you provide a major credit card number and expiration date. If you don't show up to board the plane or take the room and give them another payment option, they charge it to your card. If you do show up and pay them cash, then they shred the credit card number.

I was thinking that maybe something like this would work:

1. Using that pre-paid UPS scenario (There's one of those UPS stores about 400 meters from where I'm sitting), the borrower fills out an online reservation form that doubles as an agreement and payment authorization. The borrower provides a major credit card number and submits the form.

Once I confirm the registration, the borrower contact UPS, pre-pays for the shipment and the UPS guy calls me to arrange a pickup. UPS comes over here, picks up the package and it goes to you. You finish reading the book and then send it back. Once I've got it back, the agreement with the credit card number gets shredded.

OK, smart people,

Help me figure out how to make this easier and more secure. Keep it computer idiot friendly please.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike