Roofs don't make the "what's important list"

Chad Fabry

Originally posted by Jim Katen

Well I think he makes an excellent point.

His writing is a bit clumsy but it's better than 80% of what other inspectors write and it's about on par with what I see from most newspaper journalists these days.

It's important for us to shake up our perceptions once in a while.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I guess I swallowed some ecstasy or something like that with my breakfast, 'cuz I thought I read that Jim thinks that this guy's idea that roofs really aren't that important has merit.

Maybe I'm just being more obtuse than I normally am.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by hausdok

Originally posted by Jim Katen

Well I think he makes an excellent point.

His writing is a bit clumsy but it's better than 80% of what other inspectors write and it's about on par with what I see from most newspaper journalists these days.

It's important for us to shake up our perceptions once in a while.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I guess I swallowed some ecstasy or something like that with my breakfast, 'cuz I thought I read that Jim thinks that this guy's idea that roofs really aren't that important has merit.

Well, he didn't say that roofs aren't important. He said that roof leaks are less important that life/safety/fire issues and he's right.

When's the last time you heard about someone dying from a roof leak?

I like what he had to say because, when I find a leaking roof on an inspection, that item automatically soars to the top of the customer's list of freak out issues. There could be a furnace spilling carbon monoxide into a bedroom, an FPE electrical panel about to burst into flames and Osama Bin Laden hiding in the basement but the customer will instantly fixate on the 2-teaspoon per day drip in the attic and the quarter sized water stain on the ceiling.

A little perspective never hurts.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Well, we inspect houses. A roof is an important part of the house. Of course life health issues trump aesthetics and even things that are expensive to fix.

If you really want to find out how important the roof is to the client, neglect to mention that the house needs a new one. Around here a tear off and re-roof is around 400 a square without plywood. That's a significant expense and ranks "important" on my list.