New breed of inspector goes after energy leaks

Chad Fabry

It's more than mold is gold, but there's some amount of superficiality to it.

I think you will see this snowballing. The most visible example is, dare I say it, LEED certs. Simple basic technology that could/should be included in all homes now needs a $5000 consultant to tell you to install insulation, use modern appliances, and do the sorts of things any decent architect should be telling you.

Of course, there's still no recognition that square footage/cubic volume has anything to do with it.

Hi,

Every year I teach an Introduction to Home Inspections course to a group of appraisers, property managers, property maintenance, real estate folks, investors and a few wannabe home inspectors. One of my students this year is stymied by our new home inspector licensing law because the course she's enrolled in hasn't yet been approved by the state for credit toward the education requirements. I recommended that she look into this field.

I think it's a completely different animal; one isn't looking so much for defects, per se, as for ways to improve energy efficiency. In my opinion, it's quite a bit outside the normal sphere of work that we do. I think it will probably be a new revenue stream for inspectors in some areas, but I expect to see lots of people doing it who've no idea how to conduct a "home" inspection and that's just fine with me as long as they stay out of our field and don't call it home inspection.

I doubt that one could make much extra money at it here on Puget Sound; I heard that the utility company is training hundreds of energy assessors in free classes. Each of those that's certified must do x-number of free audits before their course is considered paid for. At some point there will be so many of them around here that one won't be able to swing a cat without hitting one of them.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

This is also another example of how narrow the knowledge of the general public is these days. They don't know about insulation, air leaks, old appliances, etc. already? I guess not, as hard to fathom as that is for the rest of us.

I just did a little 1200 sq. ft. house in town, built in the 1920's or so. It still had no central heating or cooling, so 4 windows had AC units sticking out of them (bottom sash about 3/4 raised). Not a dang one had anything to stop air from flowing right between the sashes. I could only imagine how much air is exchanged on a cold, windy night. Brrrrrrr!

Brian G.

Energy Is Money [:-bigeyes