Westinghouse Oil fired furnace age?

msteger

I don't see any listing anywhere (on TIJ website or elsewhere) for Westinghouse furnaces.

Westinghouse oil fired forced air furnace -

Serial number EH 15714

Model number: founo98 EE (1 or both of the "o"s may be zeros (0))

Anyone have info for Westinghouse? If I had to guess, I would say the 1970s. Maybe that "71" in the middle means 1971?

Nordyne owns the Westinghouse name for furnaces now, but can't find who owned it prior to 2004.

Thanks.

I don't see any listing anywhere (on TIJ website or elsewhere) for Westinghouse furnaces.
If you'd searched the site for "Westinghouse" you would have found that immediately under this post in the HVAC forum search results there was this thread, which explains all about the Westinghouse code. That post has a link directly to the furnace age chart that's archived in the HVAC section of the site library and is available for anyone who is a registered member of TIJ to download for free. I thnk that you've got the serial number wrong but one of those letters counts so it's either a 1979 or a 1982 furnace.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Mike:

That's strange because when I look at the Furnace Age Chart (that you mention), it skips Westinghouse and goes from Trane to Whirlpool. What am I missing, Mike? I am obviously not seeing the same info you are seeing in reference to pre-2004 (pre-Nordyne) units.

I looked at the thread you mentioned, but since Nordyne took over Westinghouse in 2004, and I know my furnace is much older than that, I can't go by Nordyne's info. I contacted Nordyne directly and they couldn't tell me anything about pre-2004 Westinghouse furnaces since they didn't make them.

I actually did do a search for "westinghouse furnace" on this website and only found to threads, one of which was the one you linked to above. Again, nothing of help for a pre-2004 unit.

Sorry,

Just read my own note and see that Nordyne only bought the name in the mid 1990's. Was there an ANSI standard posted on the side of the unit? Those usually show a date for the standard and are within a year or two either way of the manufacturing date on the furnace. The other thing I do is look at the publication dates in the bottom corner of any manuals that come with the furnace or stickers attached to them. They often have a date stamped there - usually something like 5-72 or something similar.

OT - OF!!!

M.

There were no ANSI stickers on the unit and no manuals. Those are all things I often look for when I can't date a furnace, but they were all missing. It was a rental, so as you can imagine, the area around the furnace was limited in access and full of stuff.

I was guessing 1970s, so I think I am in the ballpark. The woman at Nordyne said 2004, but she may be off a few years. Whatever the exact age is, though, the unit is well past its life expectancy. The woman at York actually told me they only bought the Westinghouse building but didn't make Westinghouse furnaces. Just telling you what she told me.

Thanks Guys.