crawl space venting

Tony

Im a new guy to this forum and need some professional help. Just put a 24x24 addition on my house. Cut existing sidewalk 2 feet wide for a backhoe to work. Backhoe dug a 24' trench at the front and then at 90 degrees dug a 10 foot trench. The rest of the addition is connected to existing house. Poured 34' of wall to grade and then framed a 2x6 wall 42" high giving me a crawl space. Had radiant heat installed and floor and wood walls were insulated and a vapor barrier plastic put over. The old existing sidewalk is now soaked. Im getting conflicting stories on venting and I want to remedy this quickly and the right way I live in the Northeast

Originally posted by Tony

Im a new guy to this forum and need some professional help. Just put a 24x24 addition on my house. Cut existing sidewalk 2 feet wide for a backhoe to work.

I don't know what you mean. Please explain.

Backhoe dug a 24' trench at the front and then at 90 degrees dug a 10 foot trench. The rest of the addition is connected to existing house.

So your existing house had an "L" shape and you built an addition in the corner of the "L"? Does the rest of the house have a crawlspace under it? If so, is there ventilation? Does this ventilation open into the crawlspace under the addition?

Poured 34' of wall to grade and then framed a 2x6 wall 42" high giving me a crawl space.

You poured a 34' wall to grade? Do you mean a 34' long footing? Did you excavate any of the topsoil out from the interior of the crawlspace or did you leave it there along with all the organic material that was in the top foot or so of the soil?

Had radiant heat installed and floor and wood walls were insulated and a vapor barrier plastic put over.

Where, precisely, did they put the plastic vapor barrier?

Is this hydronic radiant heat or electric?

If hydronic, were the tubes stapled under the floor or laid on top of the floor and covered with gypcrete?

How much insulation?

Did the insulation have a vapor barrier attached to it?

If so, which way did it face?

The old existing sidewalk is now soaked.

Where is the sidewalk in relation to the addition?

If it's getting soaked, where does the water seem to be coming from?

Have you gone into the crawlspace to look around?

Im getting conflicting stories on venting and I want to remedy this quickly and the right way I live in the Northeast

Please send pictures. Lots of pictures.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Humm Jeff;

You're assuming all Construction inspectors actually know and care about their job!

NJ Home Inspector Lic # 24GI00019700

ICC Residential Building Inspector # 5261943-B2, M-2

NJ UCC Building Inspector ICS # 009387

NJ UCC Building Sub Code Official

NJ UCC Construction Official

ASHI ® Member # 204319

Credentialed Wood Destroying Insect Inspector # 214

Radon Technician MET 10946