Replacing Oven/Cooktop with range

tnvols1sec

How can I replace a 30amp Oven and Cooktop with a 40 amp range? The cooktop was powered by 10/2wg 30 amp double pole breaker. The oven by 10/3wg 30amp double pole breaker. Can I use both conductors to carry the 40 amps and replace breaker with 40amp or should I just use the 10/3wg and leave the 30 amp breaker?[:-censore

Access to run wire to box is not possible since box is outside and on finished wall.

Please help!!

Thanks

Chris[:-alien]

Hi,

Unforunately, you don't have a choice; you're going to have to pull new wiring to that appliance from the panel - either 6ga aluminum or 8ga copper. Don't even think about trying to power that with 10ga wiring unless you're looking for a way to burn your home down in a hurry.

Hire an electrician!!! This is not something for a do-it-yourselfer to be dinking around with - it can kill you.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by tnvols1sec

Would 2 (10) gauge wires for each leg not be as good as 1 (8) gauge? Seems that would carry the load OK.

Even if you could find connectors that are rated to hold two 10-gauge wires at either end of this circuit, the NEC specifically prohibits parallel conductors in sizes smaller than #1. (310.4(A)

Call an electrician. He'll figure out how to run power to the range.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Forget it, the FPE panel is like the Corvair of the electrical business; unsafe at any speed. I could point you to a manufacturer that makes new breakers for these panels but I won't because the design of the buses is just as bad as the breakers.

Dump it and get a new panel that's not a fire waiting to happen. Looky here.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by tnvols1sec

OK Now the next problem is this is a Federal Pacific Box and breakers are not available anywhere I hav checked. Source?

Sadly, breakers are still available. I've had one past client's FPE panel catch fire. I was present in an apartment building when another FPE panel caught fire. A failed FPE breaker almost killed me once in 1993 and while experimenting with another FPE panel, I was unable to get six out of the ten breakers to trip under dead shorts. There is no other electrical equipment manufacturer out there, including Zinsco, that has given me so much personal grief.

Hire an electrician and get rid of your FPE panel.

- Jim Katen, Oregon