Clad Lintel

Mike Lamb

Well logic would tell me that it would hold more moisture around the lintel, so I would think that it might accelerate it to some extent.

Not having any weeps in the brick will also increase the moisture, I don't see any weeps. I would be looking at this more than the cladding.

Looking at that brick that home looks kind of old? How old is the house?

Originally posted by Scottpat

Well logic would tell me that it would hold more moisture around the lintel, so I would think that it might accelerate it to some extent.

Not having any weeps in the brick will also increase the moisture, I don't see any weeps. I would be looking at this more than the cladding.

Looking at that brick that home looks kind of old? How old is the house?

That would make sense. 1920's. No weeps.

It's epidemic.

Old houses from the 20's are going to have failing lintels regardless. The real problems come not from the original construction, but from all the dipsquat things the morons of the last 20 years have perpetrated on our masonry city.

They take additive laden type N mortar and smear it over perfectly wonderful lime rich mortars that, if left alone, or repaired with compatible mortar, would have managed the moisture in the wall just fine. They caulk the lintels "to keep water out", not understanding that they're keeping all the water in.

When the lintels go to hell after decades of abuse, they wrap them in aluminum "to protect them".

All these things added together make for disaster. Yes, the lintels would eventually go on their own, but all the foolish "repairs" accelerate the process.

I have several variations of the "don't wrap the lintels with aluminum" mantra. They are inserted in my reports depending on the specifics of the building.