Taxing Situation

Chad Fabry

We don't really own our homes. We purchase the right to occupy the home so long as we pay the taxes. We lease our property from the government one year at a time. We make improvements, call it our own, and sometimes even refer to it as our castle. But, when it is all said and done, if we don't pay the annual lease, then we no longer have the right to occupy the property. And the more we improve the property the more the lease cost.....just a thought.....

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

Not really home inspector related but interesting just the same.

Assess the situation here.

A guy from the assessor's office comes by my house *every year* in June or July. If I'm home, he asks if he can come inside and look around. If I say no, it's no big deal.

Doesn't this happen in other places?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Jim Katen

A guy from the assessor's office comes by my house *every year* in June or July. If I'm home, he asks if he can come inside and look around. If I say no, it's no big deal.

Doesn't this happen in other places?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Not here. The last reassessment in this county was in 1972. It pisses off all of the McMansion buyers when they find out.

I can't even begin to guess when the last assessment was here. I've been in the house ten years, and only went through review after the first full tax cycle to remove the previous owners exemptions. I'll be in for it when they finally do reassess, Zillow has my house valued at over 3x the current assessment. They'll probably want to change the 75% equalization too.

Tom