What is this for?

caryseidner

Originally posted by AHIS

That is how they are always installed. I may get corrected, but I believe that is how they are designed to be installed.

Yes, it's how they're always installed.

No, it's not how they're designed to be installed.

Read the manufacturers installation instructions.

Read the instructions from the manufacturer of the main breaker.

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

Originally posted by AHIS

That is how they are always installed. I may get corrected, but I believe that is how they are designed to be installed.

Yes, it's how they're always installed.

No, it's not how they're designed to be installed.

Read the manufacturers installation instructions.

Read the instructions from the manufacturer of the main breaker.

Does anyone have a .pdf of the instructions that are included with these babies?

Originally posted by hausdok

Jeez,

Bill just pointed you to this graphic showing how they're supposed to be installed. What more could you want?

delta-instal.jpg

OT - OF!!!

M.

Umm, I actually have a copy of that diagram on my laptop that I insert into reports.

I was more concerned with how the suppressor works and what the manufacturer has to say about it.

Originally posted by homnspector

Cary, you are correct, that's what it shows and that is not the way it should be installed. What more could you want? Maybe a correct diagram.

I was doing some googling on them last night, and I couldn't say for sure because I didn't have a manufacturer or model or much of anything, but it looked like these suckers are supposed to be installed at the first breaker in the panel. I guess that is going to protect the rest of the circuits.

Seems to me like if that is how they are supposed to be installed - in the first breaker - then it would be difficult for anyone other than a good sparky to do it because everything would have to be shifted around.

Cary, These things have 3 wires. 2 are connected to the (2) 110 volt bus bars by way of 15a breakers dedicated to that purpose (not double tapped unless it is a brand that allows 2 wires). The third wire is grounded. If there is excess current on either bus (like 600 volts) it is diverted to the ground.

The only reason for connecting them to a breaker (rather than directly to the bus) is so the supressor doesn't start a fire if it shorts out. I don't beleive it matters where in the main panel it is installed. Most that I see are double tapped either under the bus terminals or another breaker which is not the correct way. Big deal? Probably not but I would call it out.

Cary, These things have 3 wires. 2 are connected to the (2) 110 volt bus bars by way of 15a breakers dedicated to that purpose (not double tapped unless it is a brand that allows 2 wires). The third wire is grounded. If there is excess current on either bus (like 600 volts) it is diverted to the ground.

The only reason for connecting them to a breaker (rather than directly to the bus) is so the supressor doesn't start a fire if it shorts out. I don't beleive it matters where in the main panel it is installed. Most that I see are double tapped either under the bus terminals or another breaker which is not the correct way. Big deal? Probably not but I would call it out.

Thank you!

Just so.

You're also correct that it doesn't matter where on the bus you connect the supressor.

- Jim Katen, Oregon