water heater

Phillip

I can recall three instances where the T&P discharged where the cause was initial start-up. Two of those were boilers and one was an electric 52gal water heater. T&P valves fail and discharge. Granted they typically drip, but it is not uncommon to discharge.

I agree with all of Jim K's remarks.

Home inspectors do not have the option of "gray" comments.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"What the heck is a carport anyway?"

R309.4 Carports. Carports shall be open on at least two sides. Carport floor surfaces shall be of approved noncombustible material. Carports not open on at least two sides shall be considered a garage and shall comply with the provisions of this section for garages.

Exception: Asphalt surfaces shall be permitted at ground level in carports.

The area of floor used for parking of automobiles or other vehicles shall be sloped to facilitate the movement of liquids to a drain or toward the main vehicle entry doorway.

From IRC'06

Originally posted by SonOfSwamp

I agree. Regarding this WH we're beating to death: id="blue">

Yep, I guess it isn't worth putting the nation's military on alert.

I'll just make this one observation that I think is logical: I think that the code writing folks aren't morons; they knew exactly what they were doing when they did not insert 9 simple words - This section shall not apply to electric water heaters - into the code. They know that, although it's unlikely that there will be any sort of a spark there, the possibility does exist and they didn't want to be on the blame line. In this case, the absence of a simple exclusion is tantamount to a requirement. This is something that the next code writing panel should be forced to make very clear so there are no ambiguities in the code.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by Jim Katen

I like this page from American's installation instructions.

They say that local codes might require the bottom element to be 18" off the floor then they show a picture of the water heater sitting on the garage floor.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif American_Location.pdf

25.25 KB

Sounds like it is a local ordinance issue otherwise they often quote the NEC, IPC, UPC, IRC, IBC, CABO , etc.

Originally posted by Jerry Simon

Sounds like it is a local ordinance issue otherwise they often quote the NEC, IPC, UPC, IRC, IBC, CABO , etc.

Sounds to me like someone who makes water heaters for a living thinks it is an issue, one worth printing in their literature.

It is not a required part of the installation instructions. It is simply letting the installer know that SOME local ordinances may require the water heater to be raised.

In other words, check with your AHJ before you install.

One manufacturer does not even mention it and another one does but neither have it as a requirement for installation.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Richard Moore

Originally posted by hausdok

Isn't anyone going to comment about the fact that the TPR discharge pipe has a slight dip there that could function as a trap?

First let me state that I am in no way suggesting that the trap in Phillip's photo should not be called...rules are rules after all. But, simply for the sake of discussion, what would be the actual safety hazard of that trap, if it was at an interior location as opposed to an unheated garage? I can see that a trap located where the standing water could be frozen would be a huge no-no, but I've never quite got my head around the issues involved in one like Phillip's.

So, aside from the flex, can someone convince me why this particular trap poses a threat?

There is an article by Kenny Hart in the ASHI reporter this month. He states, "If the valve drips, mineral deposits can collect at the opening and create a mineral plug. This can restrict or block the opening altogether."

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Phillip

The house was built in 1993. water heater was replaced last year.

What comment would you make from this photo and why?

Image Insert:

2008112775626_Picture%20003.jpg

64.27 KB

Fuel fired water heaters have to be 18" off the ground, not electric. A fuel fired water heater can be installed at grade in an adjoining room to the garage if you have access to that room from an other area than the garage (outside door)

10 to 1 the panel is in the garage (In site)

If the blow off valve drips enough to fill that "trap" it needs to be replaced. They should never drip.