There's No Hot Water!

Phillip

The builder is going to have fun with this.

New construction, PEX plumbing. split floor plan. Master bathroom is next to the water heater.

At the tub in the master bathroom the hot water is coming in on the proper side.

At the sinks the hot water is coming in on the cold water side.

In the kitchen water is coming in from both supply lines but none of it is hot.

The other bathroom is the same way as the kitchen.

Has anyone run into something like this before?

Originally posted by Phillip

The builder is going to have fun with this.

New construction, PEX plumbing. split floor plan. Master bathroom is next to the water heater.

At the tub in the master bathroom the hot water is coming in on the proper side.

At the sinks the hot water is coming in on the cold water side.

That's an easy fix.

Originally posted by Phillip

In the kitchen water is coming in from both supply lines but none of it is hot.

The other bathroom is the same way as the kitchen.

Has anyone run into something like this before?

Usually means a cross connection somewhere.

Originally posted by Jack Ahern

My house in Maine had cold and hot water feeding the toilets? Plumber said it helped reduce condensation? 25 years ago I bought that argument. Small one way mixing valve.

Never saw that arrangement anywhere else?? Did some Maine contractor "get me?" Advise[:-banghea

I see that arrangement every so often. People from other cultures don't use their A/C systems as much--if at all--as we do, which causes condensation on the outside of the bowl when it fills with cold water.

Adding a little hot water to the mix prevents condensation from forming, which also means it can't trickle down the bowl and damage the floor.

I occasionally, also, see certain fixtures or complete bathrooms plumbed backwards. I even did one home several years ago that was completely plumbed backwards. I guess these plumbers just don't check their work. I would assume they pressurize the lines and check for leaks but just aren't putting their fingers under the spigots to verify cold and hot are on the proper sides.