Potential Monitor Wallpapers

Hi All,

The links below are to some pretty amazing photos of our military equipment in action. Nothing gory, just some neat photos. Some of these would probably make good monitor wallpapers for those of you who, like me, are ex-military. Some non-military folks might find them interesting as well.

Please, do not use this post to try and spark a political debate; if you can't appreciate some really good photography without going off on a rant about how our military are a bunch of hooligans and that type of thing, don't bother to click on the links; that way, at the end of the day, you and I will still be friends.

http://www.tom-phillips.info/images/coo ... litary.htm

http://www.tom-phillips.info/images/coo ... tary.2.htm

http://www.tom-phillips.info/images/coo ... tary.3.htm

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

The pictures are interesting but they'd be a lot more interesting if they were each accompanied by more explanations.

For instance, on the first page, what's the aircraft in the 24th picture down. The one that looks like a flying humpback whale? Why is it designed like that? What's it used for?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by hausdok

Yeah,

116ft. wingspan, about 45ft. long and weighing in at 12+ tons you don't want to screw around with that monster. . .

And the pilot probably shouldn't get up to answer the phone or go get a cup of coffee.

You know, there's something really creepy about a pilot sitting in a control room while flying a 12-ton bird that looks like a humpback whale that might be halfway across the world.

Do you suppose they ever give in to the urge and say, "Here, hold my beer while I try something. . . "

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Hi,

I might be wrong, but it's my understanding that those things have auto-pilot and are fully capable of complete pilotless flight - in other words, using GPS, they can vector themselves to a runway and land themselves.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Damn impressive. But can they do it while playing the drum solo from Wipeout on the dashboard?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I kind of like the last one in the first series 'cuz it shows an F22 Raptor in flight with Ft. Monroe, VA in th background. It's kind of amazing to look at that piece of technology, think about what it can do, and then look at that fort and think that when they were firing cannon from that installation they were pushing round cannonball down the muzzle by hand with a ramrod.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I kind of like the last one in the first series 'cuz it shows an F22 Raptor in flight with Ft. Monroe, VA in th background. It's kind of amazing to look at that piece of technology, think about what it can do, and then look at that fort and think that when they were firing cannon from that installation they were pushing round cannonball down the muzzle by hand with a ramrod.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Well, I just got back and every recruiter I talked to said that 70 is too late in life to volunteer as a rocket jockey. What the hell do they know.

Well,

Can you play a bugle? There's a severe shortage of folks who know how to play the bugle who are available to play at military funerals. Many of the funeral details now have a person that puts an electronic trumpet to their lips and then thumbs a switch and a bunch of electronic music ensues. Pretty shabby, and not the sendoff that our troops deserve.

If you're really interested, I can send you a list of volunteer ops in your area.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I did sign up on my 17th birthday.

It was an honor to do so.

I loved it.

I was good at serving.

I still graduated from college at 22yrs old.

It ain't for everyone, but for many it is life-changing.

Everyone can find a place with the military even if you don't chose to serve.

I signed up when I was 17 too, but the only "stick time" I got was with wingless machines. Heavy equipment. Sometimes I forget the average age of posters on this site. Times have changed and so have the birds. Only a select few of all those qualified get to actually fly the birds in those pictures. Even flying the old P-51 today is a rare privilege, mainly due to the cost of operation (I think in the neighborhood of $2000/hr?). But, for the young at heart there is still opportunity to fly. Many new and affordable designs with the "young old man" in mind are available today. I got my private license and insturment rating in 2000. I was able to use some G.I. bill for the instrument rating. Most fun I've had on Uncle Sam.