Voltage Detector (Tic Tracers; Voltage "Sniffers")

hausdok

We'd like to know if you use one of those pen-type voltage detection devices. You know, the thingy that you place next to a receptacle, without plugging it in, and it starts to tick, beep, or lights up to indicate that there's a magnetic field created by active voltage present.

• 2 years later...

A few inspections back I had my sniffer in my shirt pocket and it was on. While walking through the backyard it started to beep! I looked over to the side and a massive high voltage power line was running along the side of the backyard. The EMF from the power lines had my sniffer going off almost around the entire home.

A few inspections back I had my sniffer in my shirt pocket and it was on. While walking through the backyard it started to beep! I looked over to the side and a massive high voltage power line was running along the side of the backyard. The EMF from the power lines had my sniffer going off almost around the entire home.

Yeah, it's really amazing how far the EMFs can radiate from those power lines. I use an aluminum ski pole as a probe when inspecting exteriors. When I walk under those lines, I can feel the pole vibrating in my hand. It's spooky.

In my lineman days we'd run steel cables down the pole lines(phone and cable), framing as we went. Some oscilating qiute a bit (Huma Huma Huma)...Thats when I'd do the 'sign of the cross" and say "tell 'em I loved 'em lord" the get on up there...Now I do a 'lite' version at panels.