Looking Behind Insulation in Crawlspaces

hausdok

• 1 month later...

Y' know, this poll could prove interesting, and I'm not trying to sound like a zen home inspector or anything; but I just don't have a whole lot of hard and fast rules governing exactly how I do an inspection. I just look where the house tells me to look. I can't tell you everything that sets off my 'spidey sense' or in what situations I might or mightn't move insulation. Sometimes I'm curious, sometimes I'm suspicious, sometimes I'm being nosey, sometimes I'm simply not interested, and sometimes I'm bored and just killing time. I don't know...I definitely don't move it every time, though.

I suspect Mike's gathering data because as we speak, the Washington state Licensing Advisory Board is writing our inspection standards to be implemented . . . maybe this year?

TIJ is a great tool to get some useful input and data. Better to talk to the boys and girls out in the field rather than a bunch of constipated bureaucrats sitting in a windowless board room trying to make rules.

PLEASE PARTICIPATE - It will affect my family!

Me? Yet another choice missing: move insulation at plumbing if I suspect problems AND/OR randomly around the perimeter to check for bugs and rot.

Originally posted by randynavarro

I suspect Mike's gathering data because as we speak, the Washington state Licensing Advisory Board is writing our inspection standards to be implemented . . . maybe this year?

TIJ is a great tool to get some useful input and data. Better to talk to the boys and girls out in the field rather than a bunch of constipated bureaucrats sitting in a windowless board room trying to make rules.

PLEASE PARTICIPATE - It will affect my family!

Me? Yet another choice missing: move insulation at plumbing if I suspect problems AND/OR randomly around the perimeter to check for bugs and rot.

Exactly so. I'm chairman of the changing business practices sub-committee and it is my group that's been writing the state SOP, ethics rules, and formulating other business practices rules for HI's here. It helps when dealing with these issues to have some kind of statistical input, however meager, from the field.

We've completed the SOP and it's been posted to the DOL website. A CR-102 has been filed proposing to create a new rule - WAC 308-408C – Standards of Practice. A public hearing will be held on the proposed SOP on February 24, 2009 at 10:30 A. M. at the Washington State Department of Licensing, 2000 4th Avenue W (2nd Floor Conference Room), Olympia, WA 98502. DOL and the board want to hear from all interested inspectors whether for or against this rule.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike