My new washer and dryer arrived . . .

Bain

First of all, I'm glad I'm not Jeff because he has to deal with hundreds of angry feminists this morning.

Second, the old water heater in the background is what makes the photo for me. All I can think of is Gary Larson and the line "where water heaters go to die".

It's a photographic analogy to "... and a dog barked in the distance as a far away train labored up dead man's gulch"

I had an electric one similar to John's pictures once. It was a Boeing engineer who owned the house and a Boeing engineer that was buying the house. I couldn't find the water heater so the client's agent called the owner's agent. The listing agent said to go outside and look under a piece of plywood beneath the deck, which was elevated about 2-1/2 feet above grade; I did so, and that's when I found the water heater in a deep hole in the dirt under the deck. When the homeowner dug the hole, he undermined the downspout receiver and left it hanging there in the hole. It was raining cats and dogs at the time of the inspection and the roof runoff was coming off the roof and was running out of the open receiver and there was about two feet of water around the water heater in the hole. I took one look at that mess and said, "I'm excluding the water heater from the inspection; there's no way I'm climbing down there in that mess to look at that water heater."

That set off a sh*tstorm that went on for weeks. The seller couldn't seem to grasp the concept that large electrical devices with 240 volts flowing to them resting in a pool of water with all of the roof runoff draining into a hole around them was dangerous; I don't understand why he couldn't understand it, he designs huge airplanes fer crissakes. The buyer understood and wanted it moved inside. The seller refused to do it and wanted out of the deal, but for some reason that's still not clear to me the buyer was able to prevent him from backing out of their deal and kept insisting that the water heater be moved. Being engineers, both of them were convinced that they were smarter than the other and neither of them would budge.

I learned later on that in the end, after over a month of back and forth wherein the seller and buyer were practically at each others' throats, the listing agent and the selling agent, who'd been an electro-mechanical contractor in a former life, each pony'd up half of the $400 for a new water heater and they went out to the house one day, disconnected the old water heater, and installed a new one back inside the house where the water heater had originally been installed, restored the plumbing to the original configuration, wired the WH, and then they fixed the receiver drain and filled the hole up with dirt.

It takes all kinds; I wonder how efficiently that water heater in John's photos burns with dirt caved in around the bottom covering most of the air intakes on the bottom of the tank?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

First of all, I'm glad I'm not Jeff because he has to deal with hundreds of angry feminists this morning.

Second, the old water heater in the background is what makes the photo for me. All I can think of is Gary Larson and the line "where water heaters go to die".

It's a photographic analogy to "... and a dog barked in the distance as a far away train labored up dead man's gulch"

For my friend, Chad. A slightly out of focus photo of the cadavers in the crawlspace.

They almost look like toppled robots after a death-star duel.

Image Insert:

20081251344_wh3.jpg

807.77 KB