Thermal Leak Detector

JEuriech

That is just a low price infrared thermometer. I have had one for many years. I would bet that you have to get pretty close to the object that you are checking. With my Raytex it has a 1:12 ratio. So for every 12" it reads in a 1" target zone. So at 6' it is reading in a 6" area. The higher the ratio the more you can expect to pay. I use to have a 1:30 (Fluke 66), but somebody liked it better than me at a commercial job not long ago.

Expect to pay around $100 for a 1:12, this is about all a home inspector really needs . The Fluke 66 with the 1:30 cost around $450.

FYI, I think that Raytex has merged with Fluke.

If locating air leaks, temp increases, moisture, etc is what you are wanting to do, I would purchase a thermal imager. You will cover more area faster with the thermal camera. You will be there all day pointing that all over the walls etc. If you are looking for something that will get you a temperature reading and to use as an inexpensive educational tool to teach your clients about ways to save money, then purchase the black and decker tool. Just my humble opinion. [:P]

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

Originally posted by Scottpat

Expect to pay around $100 for a 1:12, this is about all a home inspector really needs.

I respectfully disagree. I think a 1:30 is necessary.

Why? Unless you are shooting temps from 30' away I really see little need. I have had them both and I can see little need for the 1:30, for a typical home inspection.

Most of the temps I'm checking are less than a couple of feet away. Even with a 12' ceiling, all I have to do is extend my arm and I'm still only a few feet away.