My new roof and the new sounds in my house

jerseymama

I am a first time roof replacer. I recently had a GAF Timberline Prestique 30 roof installed. The old roof was removed, including two layers of shingles. Roof vents were removed and boarded up and a ridge vent (which I didn't have before) was installed. Since the new roof has been installed, I hear groaning noises everytime it is windy. Is this because I now have the ridge vent and air is getting in, or is something wrong. I never went into my attic after the roof was installed. Should I? Any information/advice, etc in lay terms would be appreciated!

Jersy,

Have you talked with the contractor that installed the roof? They should be able to answer your questions easier then someone who has nver seen the house.

I have never heard groaning as a result of a ridge vent, but from what you wrote, it has something to do with air movement. Do you know if you have soffitt vents as well? If not, that could be the problem.

Sorry I can't answer you question, but check back as there are some pretty clever folks that hang out on the site.

Originally posted by jerseymama

I am a first time roof replacer. I recently had a GAF Timberline Prestique 30 roof installed. The old roof was removed, including two layers of shingles. Roof vents were removed and boarded up and a ridge vent (which I didn't have before) was installed. Since the new roof has been installed, I hear groaning noises everytime it is windy. Is this because I now have the ridge vent and air is getting in, or is something wrong. I never went into my attic after the roof was installed. Should I? Any information/advice, etc in lay terms would be appreciated!

How curious. I've inspected lots of roofs with ridge vents and I have a ridge vent on the roof over my office but I've never heard groaning from one. Is the sound similar to the sound you can make by blowing over the neck of a bottle? It makes some sense that, if the wind blows from just the right quarter, it might make a sound at the vent.

Is this just an observation or is this enough of a problem that you need to fix it?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I think the new ridge vent is the issue. All the comments make some sense, but the only thing that changed was the rafter load (removed lots of weight) and new way the air is moving around the attic space. If I were the roofer, I would tell you to wait until the seasons change and see if it goes away.

On the other hand, it could be my ex-wife has moved into your attic!

If it is truely a groaning or creaking type noise and not whistling, here are some of my thoughts:

Maybe when the old roof layers were removed they pulled or loosened some of the sheathing nails. Is it T&G sheathing or plywood (two layers removed means the house was probably built in the 1950's or 60's)? Did they check for loose sheathing when the roof was stripped and before the new roof was installed. What type of felt did they use? How did they install the patches over the old roof vent holes?

I agree with Les, the wind loads are pushing and pulling on the house and the change in roof is causing the structure to react differently than before. If you can find the area that is creaking, you may be able to fix it from underneath.

As you can see by the variety of answers, there are lots of reasons why you can hear strange noises in your attic. Maybe it is "Bad Ronald."

Since you have not been in your attic since the roof replacment you should know that there is going to be a lot of debris left in the attic from when the old roof was removed.