Ice Dam at my house

jodil

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jodi,

This is ice dam central, here in western NY. The ice melt stockings work very well, but you will need to be vigilant and keep replacing them or the ice will return. If you get a significant melt and can put heat tape on the roof and in the gutter and downspout you should remain ice free until spring when you can make proper repairs.

Tom

Originally posted by Jim Morrison

Originally posted by gtblum

All of the above and, GET RID OF THE GUTTERS.

??? Gutters have next to nothing to do with ice dams. It's a common misunderstanding of correlation and causation.

They happen to occur at about the same place, but neither one causes the other.

I never said they caused it but, they sure do contribute to it.(in snow country)

I'm pretty sure those ice loaded gutters in the pics are only adding to it.

Originally posted by Bain

It probably violates everything you believe in, but your house might actually have to wear one of those lovely blue tarps until the temps warm up enough to allow you to correct whatever's wrong.

Whoooaaa, awesome. I think I just heard faint echoes of your shriek.

John,

That is a good idea! I dont care if my house has flourescent green bubble wrap around it, as long as there is no leaks. Thats all Im concerned about.

Originally posted by Les

Jodi,

First - a home inspector should not be living in a nice house like that!

Second - Ice melter works better than salt. Salt will melt faster and the chemical stuff is not so sensitive to the water.

Third - I have used the sock method many times, using my wife's panty hose legs.

Fourth - I pretty much agree with the other learned brethern.

Fifth - We call them snow dogs.

Sixth - do something to get rid of water now and fix it later.

Seventh - I likely would use ice cable and suffer the scorn of other inspectors.

or

"God put it there and he will take it away"

What do you mean Les a HI should not live in a house like that?

Jodi,

After you have been around a couple of decades - you won't be living in such high syle! Of course there is Richard and his palace, Kurt with the landed gentry, Chad with fish ponds and blueberrys and sheep, etc. oh ya - Morrison somewhere on a hacinda in Mexico!

Me? I now live in an empty washing machine box behind the Sears store. The wife and kids have the refridgerator box next to the dumpster.

We are so poor that we can only afford a part-time dog.

Originally posted by Les

Jodi,

After you have been around a couple of decades - you won't be living in such high syle! Of course there is Richard and his palace, Kurt with the landed gentry, Chad with fish ponds and blueberrys and sheep, etc. oh ya - Morrison somewhere on a hacinda in Mexico!

Me? I now live in an empty washing machine box behind the Sears store. The wife and kids have the refridgerator box next to the dumpster.

We are so poor that we can only afford a part-time dog.

You have a dumpster and a part time dog?

High Style... haha.. Houses are cheap up here where it is 60 below zero... my house was a little over 100k ... not a bad deal for 4000 sq ft!!!

I went to every store in town and no one has any heat tape, ice melter left or face masks...wtf? As if the snow, ice and frigid temps are a surprise? I have a plan... stay tuned.. I will post my results this evening...

ps... my roofer is an effing idiot.. called him today.. he said he covered he soffit vents cuz they are necessary, that ice shield layer is the newest technology and wasnt around in 2006, and its just because we there is 4 feet of snow on my roof that theres water coming in (and now I have a water stain and wet drywall.)

arrrggghhh...

Originally posted by jodil

High Style... haha.. Houses are cheap up here where it is 60 below zero... my house was a little over 100k ... not a bad deal for 4000 sq ft!!!

I went to every store in town and no one has any heat tape, ice melter left or face masks...wtf? As if the snow, ice and frigid temps are a surprise? I have a plan... stay tuned.. I will post my results this evening...

ps... my roofer is an effing idiot.. called him today.. he said he covered he soffit vents cuz they are necessary, that ice shield layer is the newest technology and wasnt around in 2006, and its just because we there is 4 feet of snow on my roof that theres water coming in (and now I have a water stain and wet drywall.)

arrrggghhh...

Yeah, but you can take solace knowing that if the effing roofer and all the other folks were better at their jobs, we likely wouldn't have ours.

New technology, huh?

I remember when I first saw the stuff talked about. I was in Germany in 1991 watching a taped replay of an old This Old House episode on AFNTV and Norm Abrahms and Rich T. were talking about what a great product it was.

Yeah, 17 years later I guess it's a new product.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

In the Berkshires (western Massachusetts), a common way to deal with ice damming is to use sheet metal on the bottom 2-3 feet of a roof.

Here's an interesting take on that - sheet metal with heating cable under it: Bylin Engineered Systems

Les, keep in mind, your living situation does have its advantages. Your upkeep costs are practically nil (assuming people keep buying refrigerators from Sears). As for me ...... well, the wife keeps harping about needing a new kitchen. I don't see a thing wrong with the one we've got. It surely has stood the test of time. Why, just look at the range. I keep telling her, they don't make 'em like that anymore!

Click to View

200919135054_133-3306_IMG%20(Small).jpg

57.94 KB

Mike:

Did they use that sheet metal technique in your area? The only place I've ever seen it is in western MA. The use of sheet metal may be dying out, as I typically only see it on older buildings. It seems to me that it would be very effective - more so than Ice and Water Shield. With the self-stick product, the water still gets under the shingles, which can't be good.

I tried to find a decent picture (my vacations are usually a busman's holiday), but only found this, which I cropped from a much larger one. It was taken outside of Lee.

Click to View

tn_200919151340_cropped.jpg

45.84 KB

Hi Joe,

On the older houses we'd find tin or copper used along the eaves. My dad would use drip edging and a doubled-up layer of 60-minute paper along the eaves. We didn't have customers with any roof problems unless they were self-inflicted.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

mike

• 3 weeks later...

Well good and bad news.

First off the ice melt in a pantyhose only worked on the ice that was a couple of inches.. The ice in and above my gutters was apprx. 18 inches thick... After shoveling TWICE, using a hammer to bash a 12 ft by 15 ft sheet of ice off, using a blow torch and a blow dryer, and pouring 80 lbs of ice melt on the gutter ice it finally cleared... After that I went to Minneapolis for some R & R and shopping :) to come back to another foot of snow, 22 below zero and my gutters had fallen off, and my ceiling in the dining room looking like a big blister hanging down. PLUS there were stains all over my bedroom ceiling (upstairs) went into the attic and it was 60 degrees, blown in insulation was SOAKED walls and roof decking were dripping and it was 85% humidity. We have ONE home improvement store here, there is still no heat tape, no powered attic fans.Not even shovels!!!.arggh... So I still had the old blower from my furnace and mounted it to the roof decking where a roof vent is and dragged a dehumidifer up and ran it for a week.. I also installed 2 gable vents...Homeowners insurance paid out 6k...thats a plus I guess.

Heres some pics of the events...

http://www.rockyou.com/show_my_gallery. ... =131546418

Originally posted by jodil

Well good and bad news.

First off the ice melt in a pantyhose only worked on the ice that was a couple of inches.. The ice in and above my gutters was apprx. 18 inches thick... After shoveling TWICE, using a hammer to bash a 12 ft by 15 ft sheet of ice off, using a blow torch and a blow dryer, and pouring 80 lbs of ice melt on the gutter ice it finally cleared... After that I went to Minneapolis for some R & R and shopping :) to come back to another foot of snow, 22 below zero and my gutters had fallen off, and my ceiling in the dining room looking like a big blister hanging down. PLUS there were stains all over my bedroom ceiling (upstairs) went into the attic and it was 60 degrees, blown in insulation was SOAKED walls and roof decking were dripping and it was 85% humidity. We have ONE home improvement store here, there is still no heat tape, no powered attic fans.Not even shovels!!!.arggh... So I still had the old blower from my furnace and mounted it to the roof decking where a roof vent is and dragged a dehumidifer up and ran it for a week.. I also installed 2 gable vents...Homeowners insurance paid out 6k...thats a plus I guess.

Heres some pics of the events...

http://www.rockyou.com/show_my_gallery. ... =131546418

Nice slideshow. The furnace blower was a stroke of genius.

I'm sorry you had to go through this.

- Jim Katen, Oregon