Conduit not bonded

randynavarro

OK. Got it. Thanks.

I've never personally used EMT except for some cool art projects. I've only used and inspected romex. I don't do commercial. Every once in a while I'll inspect the work of an ambitous soul who's upgraded his garage with some EMT.

I briefly perused all my electrical manuals on my shelf and there's no reference to "LB." Is it tradesman jargon?

Now to the lack of grounding . . . the A/C unit needs a grounding conductor back to the main panel, no?

I seem to recall past discussions something to do with compressor motors being double insulated or something so "grounding" is not needed. I'm sure I'm not recalling that accurately.

Originally posted by randynavarro

This metal conduit feeds an A/C unit.

It is not bonded to the panel nor is there a grounding conductor.

Is this too-obviously incorrect or am I missing something?

Yes the air conditioner needs to be grounded, as does the conduit. If that's a plastic conduit body, then there should be an equipment grounding wire in there.

However, I agree with Jeff. It looks very much like a cast metal LB with grey paint on it. It even looks like there's bright metal in the lower tapping where you removed the screw. But you were there, and as I said, if it's plastic then it's wrong.

An LB is a pulling ell with the outlet in the Back. LLs have the outlet to the Left and LRs have the outlet to the Right.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Service ell or pulling ell is a common term around here. The only folks that I know that call them LL's, LR's, or whatever, are home inspectors. Everyone that actually works with them calls them service ells and designates a size.

Does anyone else notice the sudden shift to acronyms on the boards? Katen made a funny joke about it over @ the ASHI board that almost no one got.

Is it the new "code" language for us?

I've always called them "LB" or "SLB" (for short LB).

The new code buzz word is "luminaire" instead of "light fixture".

FYI - Out of curiosity I used an ohm meter to see if a bunch of romex clamps on the side of a main panel were grounded or not.

That is the panel was painted and I was curious as to if the clamps were breaking through to the metal on the panel and thus were grounded or not.

Many were not conducting through to the metal and thus were "floating" (were not grounded).

So it is a good thing to use bonding bushings at the panel! (Not on romex clamps of course.)

Originally posted by gtblum

Originally posted by kurt

Does anyone else notice the sudden shift to acronyms on the boards?

Is it the new "code" language for us?

Hope not. Acronyms are great when everyone knows what you're talking about. Can't learn much when you're confused by them.

There is a difference in the acronyms showing up on message boards and the "official" acronyms for trade related parts. From an inspectors standpoint, I think it is beneficial to know parts by both.

Originally posted by Billy_Bob

I've always called them "LB" or "SLB" (for short LB).

The new code buzz word is "luminaire" instead of "light fixture".

FYI - Out of curiosity I used an ohm meter to see if a bunch of romex clamps on the side of a main panel were grounded or not.

That is the panel was painted and I was curious as to if the clamps were breaking through to the metal on the panel and thus were grounded or not.

Many were not conducting through to the metal and thus were "floating" (were not grounded).

So it is a good thing to use bonding bushings at the panel! (Not on romex clamps of course.)

I believe NEC adopted luminaire 2002.