Another flat roof question....(s)

Brandon Whitmore

I'm not aware of any mfg. of mod bit that approves it for ponding conditions. There might be some mfg. rep that will approve it to keep things smooth with their customers.

Like Cary said, TPO's, EPDM, and other single ply membranes can be approved for ponding, but not mod bit.

Someone educate me if there's a mod bit mfg. that sez ponding is OK.

Originally posted by Brad Manor

I have always thought that a scuttle was an attic hatch.

-Brad

I think our friend Energy Star is probally looking for "scupper." Which isn't really hard to look up...

From Dictionary.com:

Scupper: any opening in the side of a building, as in a parapet, for draining off rain water.

Elapsed time for me to find and write the above: One minute.

But as Energy Star wrote: "The term used on a job in GA was skuttle but I spelled it wrong and never really cared to look it up.

Sweet Baby Jesus! I guess some folks don't have all minute to get a word right.

I say: Don't rely on Georgia laborers or other "invented spelling" users for your nomenclature. Try an 8th-grade English teacher instead.

Shakin' my head in wonderment,

WJ

Energy, mod bit isn't EPDM isn't TPO isn't chlorosulfonated polyethylene, etc.....

They all have specific use(s) and performance characteristics. IMO, they are not interchangable. One should review performance needs, and apply the appropriate material.

Probally, anyway..........

Originally posted by energy star

They make probally manufacture the best roof you can buy. The roof in the pic needs to torn off and replaced with this. (my .02)

They make an excellent roof, however it is not warrantied for residential application.

The "best roof you can buy" is the one that is properly designed (and let's not forget installed) for the structure.

Originally posted by kurt

EnergyBlackHole, mod bit isn't EPDM isn't TPO isn't chlorosulfonated polyethylene, etc.....

They all have specific use(s) and performance characteristics. IMO, they are not interchangable. One should review performance needs, and apply the appropriate material.

Probally, anyway..........

The one thing they all have in common is to keep the weather out. That roof needs to be torn down to the deck and replaced anything short of that is a incorrect.

http://www.carlisle-ccw.com/ Maybe this? I'm not sure.

Originally posted by energy star

Thanks for being so kind.

Just doing some garbage-in-garbage-out cleanup. Sometimes it can help with one's professional growth.

Allow me to offer another excerpt from Kilpatrick's Fine Print.

Setup: The man described below was in the roofing business; he spoke and wrote crudely and incorrectly. The italicized text below is from Kilpatrick's book.

One day, his daughter, a schoolteacher, reproached him.

"Daddy," she said lovingly, "you really must try to use good grammar."

"Honey," said he, "good grammar never made me no dollars."

Perhaps so, but "bad grammar" cost the fellow in all kinds of ways, in the amusement of his better-educated associates and in the impression he made upon others. What we provisionally call "good grammar" is among the hallmarks that identify a civilized society. Sterling silver is better than tinware. To write at the level of a plastic fork amounts to communication of a sort, but it is not the kind of writing that appeals to cultivated readers.

My interpretation of the above:

If one wants to be perceived as knowledgeable, he has to first become knowledgeable enough to make a good impression on educated folk-- he must at least speak and write at the level of a competent high-school graduate.

HI work isn't a handyman job (or shouldn't be); it's a profession that requires the HI to create reports that should be written carefully and correctly. Similarly, when one communicates with one's peers electronically, he has a duty to do a decent job of it. Otherwise, he's just spewing words that don't make sense.

Nothing personal; it's just that for HIs to give the impression of professionals, they can't write at the plastic fork level.

WJ

• 1 month later...

With that POS roof, definitions of ponding are superfluous.

The sucker doesn't drain. Every visible detail from your photos screams incompetent installation.

Anyone wants to argue fine points of drying times, I'd take my riding crop across their lips for talking back.........

I know what you mean about the definition, but it's not something that can be clearly defined. Too many variables.

id="left"> Sorry about my english! I'm french. You're rignt about the bad wormanship. À slop should always run to the drain ! Period. About the the ponding, I think it's best to evaluate the situation befor jumping to the chart or rule of thumb. 3/4 on an inche means 4.0967 pound per square feet, add a dynamic force to it and worst case senario you're up to 6 or 7 pound it represent lest than 20% the total calculation load for your roof . if the roof is well design this accumulation is taking into account. See insted the deept of the roof joist and see if it can take the load.

I forgot to post again, after the buyer's own roofing expert took a look at it. His roofer said that overall it was fine, and just needed a few repairs (penertrations). Oh well, I tried.

Would you call this ponding?[:-bigeyes It is across the yard from that big foreclosure the other day (forgot to post it 'til now)

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 100_0150.JPG

259.03 KB

I forgot to post again, after the buyer's own roofing expert took a look at it. His roofer said that overall it was fine, and just needed a few repairs (penertrations). Oh well, I tried.

Would you call this ponding?[:-bigeyes It is across the yard from that big foreclosure the other day (forgot to post it 'til now)

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 100_0150.JPG

259.03 KB

Roof top fishing site.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200931017395_images.jpg

4.09 KB

• 4 weeks later...