Mobile printer

I do not print or even finish a report on site. I do, however print a cover pager for my presentation folder. I gave up on the temperamental, high dollar printers my first year.

This is my solution. This is mounted between the center row seats in my Yukon. The printer is held in place by handmade brackets on all sides. I can lift it off and then install an insert that holds the kids wii. The stand is held in place by two screws into the mounting frame of the seats.

I use high quality quick connects (available at RC hobby stores) in the DC power connection. The power to the power inverter is wired to a relay that will cut the power to it when I turn the truck off. The inverter also supplies A/C power to my laptop charge, and a cordless drill charger.

As you can see, the storage areas are sized for the supplies I like to keep at hand. The bottom houses the transformers for the laptop and printer. It is covered with a material I purchased at Walmart. It is marketed as a replacement mat for the rear of SUV's.

I have installed a Jotto desk in the front of the truck. The power supply cord, USB printer cable and my USB cable to the GPS receiver are all velcroed to the jotto.

This set up makes it easy for me to work and keep everything secured and close at hand.

Just buy a cheap printer that fits the space you have to work with and get creative.

Click to View

2009115215116_P1150741.jpg

21.85 KB

Click to View

2009115215142_P1150743.jpg

21.33 KB

Click to View

200911521527_P1150745.jpg

19.58 KB

PS I wrote the ink cartridge numbers on the paper tray so I have them available for quick reference.

I would say that any printer should be just fine for a one or two page report. The smaller the better.

The printer I have used for the last few years is a business inkjet. It spits out pages fast, and if it jams or screws up a page, it is smart enough to re- print that page before moving on. Several years ago, I printed all of my reports on site, and they were about 20-30 pages with tons of pic's. That's the only reason I have a big printer.

We have 3 of the IP90 Pixma printers. They are fairly reliable but require a bit more maintenance than the Canon 80 & 85's that they replaced.

Ironic that we still use the Canon 85 when the Pixma 90 is being serviced.

You may be better served finding a used Canon 85 to purchase if you are only generating a 1-5 page work order / report on-site.

Originally posted by Mr Dryer Vent

We have 3 of the IP90 Pixma printers. They are fairly reliable but require a bit more maintenance than the Canon 80 & 85's that they replaced.

Ironic that we still use the Canon 85 when the Pixma 90 is being serviced.

You may be better served finding a used Canon 85 to purchase if you are only generating a 1-5 page work order / report on-site.

Is this Joe Hagarty??

• 4 weeks later...

I use a newer PIXMA IP100 and am very pleased with it. Used to use the older I-80, 90, etc but they died natural deaths. Good thing about the Cannon printers is that you can refill the cartirdges cheaply and quickly. If you need more info send me a mail at "oregonwest@comcast.net" and I will send you ideas on how to refill them.