mobile home insp

Originally posted by Jim Baird

Hausdok,

I don't know how they put them together in the northwest woods, but down here you can't see the floor structure and can't get into the attic (there usually is no attic), and I wouldn't dare try to get onto one of those roofs.

Jim

They’re tougher than you think.

When I worked with MHs we’d put a roof crew of 3-4 guys plus material (aluminum rolls for a insulated overlay roof) up on those older metal roofed MHs and for the main part we didn’t have any problems. These were the homes where the roof trusses were about ¾Ã¢â‚¬

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

AAVs are "anti-siphon trap vent" devices but not all anti-siphon trap vents are AAVs. One uses springs, the other gravity.

Manufacturers of mobile homes choose the mechanical (spring) vent device 'cuz they're cheaper.

I'm thinking it is the other way around, the air admittance valve having the mechanical spring valve. And, the black vent shown above being the cheaper one with just a rubber check that tends to fail sooner.(and favored mobile home builders)?????

Originally posted by patt

Jeremy

You haven’t been paying attention.

AAVs by definition are not mechanical (they have no spring), they operate by gravity.

Anti-siphon trap vents have springs, the spring closes the neoprene gasket.

You're right.

I recognize them when I see them, but I always want to put the spring in the AAV. I guess that is my head wanting more justification for the higher price. Thanks for getting me back on track.

Regarding AAVs, read the first sentence on the second page:

http://www.documents.dgs.ca.gov/bsc/prp ... AV-HCD.pdf

Bill

Good information! Learn something new everyday.

Got to learn to read the small print!

Performance Requirements for Air Admittance

Valves for Plumbing Drainage Systems,

Fixture and Branch Devices—ASSE

Standard #1051, 1990 Revised: 1996/ANSI 1998.

Possibly since AAVs are not listed in the HUD code then I would assume (always chancy) that HUD made a finding and its somewhere in their interruptive bulletins.

The few bulletins I have are old, and I’ve never found a link on the HUD site to access them.

FYI - just today CA HCD is recommending to the Building Standards Commission that CA adopt the IRC at our next code cycle, we’ll see where that goes. Right now we under the IBC 2006 and with the CA amendments we’ve added over 800 pages to it.

Regarding AAVs, read the first sentence on the second page:

http://www.documents.dgs.ca.gov/bsc/prp ... AV-HCD.pdf

Bill

After some research I found in one of my copies of the Federal Register the issue that first incorporated the “Performance Requirements for Air Admittance Valves for Plumbing Drainage Systems, Fixture and Branch Devices – ASSE #1051, 1990 Revised: 1996 / ANSI 1998â€