clearance for a double walled steel flue

jodil

Arguing with the builder on a double wall steel flue that enters the master bedroom closet, closet shelf cut around the flue and touches it (particle board) clothes are up against the flue... Whats the rule. I know I should know this but sorry..brain is overloaded with ice dam info ...thats why I have you :D

Thanks

Call the AHJ and see if the vent needs an enclosure. It probably does. The clearance to combustible thing is pretty clear. Builder's homes are often the absolute worst in following simple building and mechanical standards.

I'd keep these references in your library.

http://www.americanmetalproducts.com/ve ... ctions.pdf

http://www.duravent.com/docs/instruct/shbook.pdf

Originally posted by Brandon Whitmore

The 1" clearance thing is of course a given........just curious:

Have any of you seen issues due to the lack of proper clearances at a B vent, especially several feet away from the source. I write up the inadequate clearance issues frequently, and am yet to see any actual problems.

No. Never. And not even a smidge of evidence for me that this is a problem. I will call it out because the manufacturer says it's wrong. I will call it out but it is stupid.

An incandescent light bulb in a closet is a huge fire hazard. Not plywood touching a b vent. Somebody must know better, I reckon.

Originally posted by Brandon Whitmore

The 1" clearance thing is of course a given........just curious:

Have any of you seen issues due to the lack of proper clearances at a B vent, especially several feet away from the source. I write up the inadequate clearance issues frequently, and am yet to see any actual problems.

Well, there was this one.

Click to View

200913032137_Warm_B_Vent%20(1).jpg

27.13 KB

Click to View

20091303221_Warm_B_Vent%20(2).jpg

24.54 KB

Click to View

200913032218_Warm_B_Vent%20(3).jpg

24.02 KB

I took this approach: Tell the customer (in writing) what the spec is for the pipe, tell them to make corrections as necessary, and then walk away knowing that they won't bother with fixing it anyhow.

Agreed

Jim-- nice pic. I kind of expected someone to post a picture with melted plastic or paper near the source, but that is much more than I expected. The only problem I've seen was when someone stuck the installation instructions right next to the draft hood of a water heater. The instructions had caught fire and half of the booklet was burnt up--- could have been a bad deal.

Here's a discussion regarding B vent clearances to drywall that has some good points/ info: http://www.iccsafe.org/cgi-bin/ultimate ... 2;t=002006

Originally posted by SonOfSwamp

Originally posted by AHIS

It is often stamped right on the flue 1" clerance from combustables...."

You might want to check the dictionary for "clerance" and "combustable," if only because we'll want to use the correct spellings for the hundreds or maybe thousands of times we'll have to call out a defective vent...

www.dictionary.com would fix you right up.

WJid="blue">

Yea Walt I knew my spelling was wrong, but to be honest I just did not care at the time.

It is often stamped right on the flue 1" clerance from combustables...."

You might want to check the dictionary for "clerance" and "combustable," if only because we'll want to use the correct spellings for the hundreds or maybe thousands of times we'll have to call out a defective vent...

www.dictionary.com would fix you right up.

WJid="blue">

Yea Walt I knew my spelling was wrong, but to be honest I just did not care at the time.

But, see, it's not all about what's easy for you. As a professional, one should work to a reasonable standard that's upheld by the whole profession.

Middle-school students (grades 5 - 8) are expected to be "fully accountable" for their spelling. If you want to work below that level, expect folks to recognize your attention to detail and respond accordingly.

WJ

oki doki - but i was not writing a report or else i would have thunk more.

Originally posted by Mike Lamb

Jim, isn't that single wall venting?

The elbow & the horizontal section are certainly B-vent. I'm not sure about the vertical portion. It might be single wall or it might be one of those adjustable-length B-vent sections.

Either way, the B-vent elbow got hot enough to scorch the vinyl insulation wrap.

- Jim Katen, Oregon