Using IR. Have you consulted a patent attorney?

Richard Moore

What we do require is that home inspectors and pest companies that are utilizing IR in their business make sure that they are not utilizing our patented processes. We also encourage inspectors that are utilizing IR to consult with patent attorneys and review in detail the patent claims to make sure they are not infringing on the patents.

HomeSafe also does require that anyone who utilizes these patented processes license usage rights from Homesafe.

See http://www.homesafeinspection.com/index ... Itemid=107

I didn't invent the paperclip but I'm currently working on a patent for how they're used. I will be seeking licensing fees from the general public in the near future.

This got flogged over at the ASHI board. It's crap. There's plenty of IR protocols, and they could never police it anyway.

Homesafe has, from the start, had this humorous attitude that they were going to drive the market in home inspections.

It's kinda funny when they start with this stuff. Like, Flir and Fluke are just going to stand there and let Homesafe direct their business, or something.

Funny... who was it that was representing their company on this board a while back? We punted him for posting questions under another name and logging back on with another name (same IP) and answering them.

The patent office isn't too bright; sometimes they issue new patents for stuff that patent expired back in the 50's for. Patenting some of what they call processes is a joke... Duh... can I patent using a hammer with my right hand? These patents can fail just depends if someone puts up some money…

Michael

• 4 months later...

I don’t have an IR camera but will likely get one someday. The homesafe patent thing annoyed me so last year after reading about it over on the ASHI board I called homesafe to ask about the patents. A man called me back a day later and we had a polite 45 minute conversation. In the end we agreed to disagree. Here are some of their points (best I can remember) that stuck with me.

It took a lot of time and effort to get the patents and they are not going to go way overnight in the court of public opinion. If someone wants to spend the time and money to fight it is court – that is their right.

Someone else already has the patent on using IR for checking insulation.

When they find someone who may be using their protocols and is not licensed through homesafe – they have 3 warning letters that go out, each with stronger language then the previous. After that they may consider legal action. If they do not do this (protect their patent) then the patent may be cancelled.

They do not require anyone to use their camera or take their training (but it is the best, according to them) – they just require people to pay a monthly fee for using their patented processes.

People don’t understand process patents. They (homesafe) were the 1st to use IR in HI. They figured out the protocols, the need to create a temperature difference between the inside and outside of the house. The 1st to use it to find water intrusion during a HI; the 1st to use it to find overheated electrical components during a HI, etc. When they started, the cameras were big & expensive and no one else was using them during a HI. So because they were the 1st and because they spent 6 year getting the patents they deserve to receive a fee from anyone using what they did 1st.

Yea, it is really annoying - but they have the law on their side, regardless of if we agree with it or not. You are right, Kurt, they will never be able to police it. I think they just search the internet and anyone they find advertisng IR gets a letter. They will bully some people into paying the monthly fee.

Oh, I know.......they've been hanging around flogging their dipsquat ideas about what this profession should be for years.

My prediction? They're nowhere in 5 years, just like they are now.

I'm getting a camera this summer, and I look forward to their idiotic intrusion into my world. Guess who won't be forwarding them any fees.....

I think they are delusional.

Forward looking infrared (FLIR) technology was used by the military for decades before these yard birds came along and I heard about FLIR IR cameras being used for home inspections years before Homesafe claims they "invented" their so-called protocols. The fact that they have a patent means almost nothing if it can be proven that their claims aren't valid.

The USPTMO does not initiate an investigation to verify claims made by inventors; they only react to challenges made by other persons after a patent has been filed. For instance, Nicko the Sicko has now patented a home inspection test house roadshow concept - as if he'd invented the idea, which is another joke because Great Lakes ASHI has been doing that for years.

Obviously, FLIR and Fluke haven't seen the need to fight these yokels in court yet or they would have stopped their ridiculous posturing years ago.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Obviously, FLIR and Fluke haven't seen the need to fight these yokels in court yet or they would have stopped their ridiculous posturing years ago.

FLIR filed suit against HomeSafe in 2005 in an Oregon federal court for libel, defamation and interference with economic relations. I have not yet seen an outcome of the suit.