Will this roof leak?

RickSab

I passed this on my way home today. I had to go around the block and get my camera out. This is a 1200 sq.ft home that is being rehabbed and tripled in size. The roof caught my eye first. I had to admire the nicely cut valley shingles. There are so many other issues on this job I could post to several forums. I may need to find the owner and tell him to get rid of this crew and stop payment on any checks he signed.

Click to Enlarge
2009213155522_roof.jpg

53.34 KB

Click to Enlarge
2009213155833_roof%202.jpg

70.4 KB

Guys--

The roofing is not installed yet on the little gables over the windows, yet the valleys there are already cut. How the hell are you going to install shingles UNDER that area now when the gables are roofed? The shingles over the window gables must be on there before cutting those valleys. The main roof should, of course, overlap the gable shingles unless there's going to be an open valley of some sort -- like metal or 90#. Even then, that should be there prior to shingling the area.

It's possible that the main roof was shingled and the left window gable added later. Note that it is sheathed in plywood, not OSB like the rest of the building.

Some felt would be great also.

Oh yeah, the Tyvek running vertically is a nice touch.

. . . There are so many other issues on this job I could post to several forums. I may need to find the owner and tell him to get rid of this crew and stop payment on any checks he signed.

Or keep taking pictures and offer your services as litigation support.

I particularly like the way the tyvek is wrapped around the window openings.

- Jim in Oregon

Sorry to post and run. The thing that got me at first was the valleys. None of them have been tarpaper. I'd like at least that. The shingles almost over run the tar paper on the main roof. I don't know how they will get any overlap.

The tyvek is nice to. Unless they are going to cover everything again starting at the bottom I don't know how they will overlap it properly.

I'll keep taking pictures. This should be fun to watch. By the way the sheathing that look like OSB are foam filled insulated panels.

I hope to get inside next week.