French Drain Material...Opinions Wanted

Brian,

This product is being used by the DOT for highway drainage along the shoulder of the roads across the country, it is well tested and works well at moving water. I have seen it used a few times, at homes but it cost about 30% more than the conventional way of making a french drain from what I have been told.

Most of it is made by Advanced Drainage Systems (ADS) http://www.ads-pipe.com/us/en/index.shtml

Originally posted by Scottpat

I have seen it used a few times, at homes but it cost about 30% more than the conventional way of making a french drain from what I have been told.

Does that included the cost of labor? It looks like you could put this stuff in in a fraction of the time it would take to do a traditional drain.

Brian G.

The landscape architect used this stuff on the last big addition I did. You still have to dig, line the trench, fill with rock and cover. In this case it allowed high volume collection from a shallow trench because of increased collection area, or at least that was the theory. I don't know how long it has been available.

Originally posted by rfarrell

You still have to dig, line the trench, fill with rock and cover.

Rich,

When you say "dig"...do you mean they didn't use a trencher? The general instructions on the website say trench, drop-in, fill with very coarse sand, and cover. What did they line the trench with?

Brian G.

Brian,

This goes back a few years but as I remember the landscape contractor dug a normal width trench, lined the trench with Mirafi or similar filter cloth. Down this way sand would not be the choice for a drain field and in this case the top of the trench was left exposed next to a driveway. I noticed on the website that they show the end of the collector pouring out water from what looks like a pile of gravel. I would have to wonder how long the sand would take to seal up. It looks like a system designed with the installer and salesman in mind.