Vinyl siding to studs

Richard Moore

Same 1992 townhouse with the drainage issues (I'll update that mess later).

I enter the attic and am immediately greeted with the pleasant translucent glow of sunshine through vinyl siding at the gable end walls. As if having no backerboard or sheathing and various tears and holes in the felt wasn't bad enough, the idiots decided to just cut the middle stud (web?) to install the gable vent. I could grab that 2 by 4 below the vent and move the whole thing in and out 6" or more.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009221231228_090221L043x.jpg

41.05 KB

This place was just CRAP, with everything done on the cheap and wrong.

BTW...for those that might want it, the Vinyl Siding Institute installation manual is at...

http://www.vinylsiding.org/publications ... Manual.pdf

Page 11...

Sheathing/Backerboard

Vinyl siding should be applied over a sheathing that provides a smooth, flat surface. Consult local building codes for sheathing requirements. Vinyl siding should never be applied directly to studs without sheathing. As an alternative, installation of specific types of contoured foam underlayments for various styles of vinyl siding are available. Some manufacturers of vinyl siding do not recommend the use of drop-in backers with certain vinyl siding configurations. (my bold)

You'd think that was clear enough even if you lacked common sense!