too cool

Chad,

I saw the same concept in the late 70's for snowmobiles on bare ground and on water. I believe it was White tool and engineering in Taylor Michigan. I had seen photos of this device, but never this clip. Really cool stuff.

For a Master Tinkerer, like you, a few 55gal drums, manure spreader chain, drop axles and a gear box should be no problem!

Looks like the end of the piece shows the Rouge River Power Plant south of Detroit. Do you know who had this idea?

"To build one of these, I'll need a good reason."

-Winter harvest for the blueberrys.

-Cheaper than a new snowmobile.

-You can pull the sh!t kicker through really deep snow.

-If you run into the fence as often as they did in the video you would have plenty of repairs to keep you busy in the spring.

-Put those drums under a bus and you can transport your migrant workers to the fields.

Let me know if any of these work for you,

Tom

Dunno if I like the chain and flimsy looking sprokets,

I'm thinking one center limited slip differential from something with an independent suspension and then two more modified for only one axle so it could run on shaft drive. a surplus 4 cylinder airport towmotor would probably make a good starting point. You could go for something that's smaller and lighter - how about a jet ski, some motorcycle hubs and belt drive? Modify a couple old heavy gauge steel expansion tanks, and... Oh, wait a minute, seems to me I used to have a think called a,....what was it? Oh yeah, a snowmobile!

I bet it didn't catch on because of the advent of snow plows. Would have liked to have seen what it would have done on a steeper grade pulling a load. I think it might have sat there and spun itself into the snow. Pretty impressive seeing it pull that load of lumber though. Wonder how one of those would do in one of those tractor rallies where one has to go through a deep trough full of mud in the fastest time?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I'm thinking now - - - - - - - - I've got that old pontoon boat laying in the woods by the beach, a whole snarl of 5/8" cable, a pretty good welder, four sticks of sucker rod, a couple of old two wheel drop axle trailers (Fords), a 1962 12hp Simplicity yard tractor, a dusty gear reduction to fit the 12hp B/S, more old bearings, gears, bushings than I should have, 1938 manure spreader (for the chain) and a loving wife that insists I am Fred Sanford*.

I COULD DO IT!

mapquest or google up 3709 Ivy lane, DeWitt, Mi 48820 and look at aerial view along the river.

Way cool Chad. It looks like a great concept for areas with lots of heavy winter snows. Screw the snow, literally!

Why didn't the idea go anywhere? My guess is the Great Depression killed it (1929).

The part with the horse....now that was pissing me off. [:(!]

Brian G.

I Had the "Horse" Idea Without the Demonstration [:-irked]

Pretty cool but I bet it wouldn't work as good on dry ground where friction would build up on those screws.

Maybe it didn't catch on because other machine designs can work equally well on various surfaces.

Trying to imagine how friction can build up . . .

I think it had very limited uses.

On the other hand, the idea seems to still be around. Look what you can buy right now for only $14:

http://www.amazon.com/Tyco-Radio-Contro ... B00027P7RM

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I know what I want for my birthday!

One cool feature of the Tyco gadget is that the screws can spin in the same direction to make it move sideways like a crab.

If Chad builds one, I want him to include a linkage that will do that. Of course, in that mode you wouldn't be able to steer . . .

- Jim Katen, Oregon

If you guys keep encouraging Chad to build that thing you're liable to find out the hard way whether his wife is good with a sniper rifle.

Bad Chad, NO! NO! Don't Build!!! (It's easier than scanning the woodline every night looking for the glint of a sight glass in the moonlight.)

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Pretty cool but I bet it wouldn't work as good on dry ground where friction would build up on those screws.

Maybe it didn't catch on because other machine designs can work equally well on various surfaces.

Trying to imagine how friction can build up . . .

I think it had very limited uses.

On the other hand, the idea seems to still be around. Look what you can buy right now for only $14:

http://www.amazon.com/Tyco-Radio-Contro ... B00027P7RM

- Jim Katen, Oregon

You got me again. I mean, friction from the screws turning on the ground would cause drag.