Yet another "what's this?"

Richard Moore

Anything is possible but, peering through the hole, it just didn't look like plumbing. I was thinking more along the lines of a wall mounted pencil sharpener mount??? No big deal as it's definitley not still in use. We (clients, me, etc) were all just curious.

Same house...how not to hang heating duct in a crawl. Live & FUBAR KT!!!

(I know about the insulation!)

Click to Enlarge
20092274433_0062.jpg

58.56 KB

Did you tell them to flip that batting?

OT - OF!!!

M.

I attended a seminar in December where the structural engineer stated he 'requires' the vapor barriers in crawlspaces to face the crawl.

His point was, the moisture is always in the crawlspace, he wants to keep it out of the insulation.

Darren, what did the engineer have to say about the WARNING! printed on the kraft paper about being flammable and must be covered, etc?

Maybe he specs out foil faced, who knows.

He stated something about the moisture being retained in the insulation; that is what causes most of the sagging, falling insulation we see.

Let me ask you this, aren't most crawlspaces damp?

If you think about it, it's not a terrible theory (and don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger).

FYI- the seminar was titled:

Structural Problems and Concerns-

The speakers name was Russel E. Daniels, P.E. (out of PA).

Let me ask you this, aren't most crawlspaces damp?

If you think about it, it's not a terrible theory.

Nope, they aren't damp when they're properly ventilated and a cap sheet's been properly installed over the soil. In fact, I usually don't even find elevated moisture in the floor deck or platform framing unless one or both of those issues has been screwed up.

With a proper cap sheet on the soil, you'll get more vapor diffusion moving through the floors into the area above the insulation than you will from what escapes the barrier. The paper facing has a black emulsion coating the side of the paper that you can't see; that acts like a vapor barrier. Once warm interior moisture-laden air moves through the floor deck it tries to continue moving toward that cooler/dryer crawl. Then that moisture encounters that asphalt-treated paper barrier and is slowed or stopped - it then cools to dewpoint and condenses in the insulation. Before too long, the floor above starts to grow whiskers or develops leopard spots (Psst,...M word).

Facing and insulation snug against the underside of the floor - not flush with the bottom of the joists with an air gap above, good ventilation and a properly applied barrier. If you've got that, the likelihood of serious issues (anywhere except the seriously humid mid-eastern and southeastern states - or anywhere else where it's seriously humid) is almost nil.

Go to the Building Science site and download a copy of Dr. Joe's Moisture Control Handbook. Come to think of it, check our links library first; I think we've got a link directly to it in there.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike