God's Gift to the Profession is Finally Here

hausdok

TORONTO — February 26

Celebrity renovator Mike Holmes is launching his own home inspection business.

The beefy contractor, known for unearthing renovation horror stories on the defunct HGTV series "Holmes on Homes," will launch Mike Holmes Inspections in the southwestern Ontario communities of Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph and Cambridge.

Holmes says many homeowners have emailed and written him complaining about the quality of their home inspections.

He says his company will offer inspections, energy audits and "will provide homeowners with the facts, not just an opinion."

To read more in the The Canadian Press, click here.

Follow-up Press Release

TORONTO - Feb. 26

The Holmes Group is proud to announce the launch of the MIKE HOLMES INSPECTIONS-a full service home inspection company. The pilot project is set to begin in Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph and Cambridge area of Southwestern Ontario.

Mike Holmes will be at Words Worth Books (100 King St South, Waterloo) at 1:00pm on February 28, 2009. He will sign copies of his books and introduce the first Mike Holmes Approved Inspector.

MIKE HOLMES INSPECTIONS is the direct result of the number of personal emails and letters Mike has received from homeowners dissatisfied with the quality of their home inspections. Thousands of homeowners have purchased flawed homes based on incomplete, inaccurate or incompetent inspections-and these purchases have cost them money and heartache.

MIKE HOLMES INSPECTIONS will offer Essential and Extended Home inspections on resale homes, Energy Audits and Pre-Delivery Inspections on newly built homes. Mike Holmes Approved Inspectors will "Make it Right" by providing clients with a comprehensive, high quality and reliable inspection of their home, or potential home. They are experienced, trained, reliable and fully independent professionals who are responsible to the client. Inspections include a thorough visual investigation of the home's readily accessible features, major systems and their components such as structure, foundation, roof, interior, exterior, heating and ventilation system, electrical, plumbing and more. In addition, inspectors will use the power of infrared, thermal imaging equipment to enhance the inspection. "MIKE HOLMES INSPECTIONS will provide homeowners with the facts, not just an opinion", says Holmes. "That way homeowners can make an educated decision before they buy their home."

Mike Holmes, internationally-known as the homeowner's renovation hero, is host of the award-winning Holmes on Homes, which has run for 7 successful seasons as HGTV Canada's No.1 show. Every week Mike uncovers sloppy and dangerous home renovations done by incompetent or dishonest contractors. Then he tears it down and Makes it Right.

His new series, Holmes in New Orleans, will air as a special broadcast on April 7 and April 8 on Global television, and run as a six-part mini-series on HGTV, starting April 9. This brilliant series documents the construction of the first home in the Make it Right Foundation's rebuilding of the Lower Ninth Ward. Mike and his team build a home that is LEED Platinum certified, hurricane and flood resistant-right next to where the levee broke during Hurricane Katrina.

Mike is also the author of two successful books-the national bestseller Make it Right--Inside Home Renovation with Canada's Most Trusted Contractor and Holmes Inspection-Everything you Need to Know Before You Buy or Sell Your Home, as well as a weekly national newspaper column.

####

Canadians have it all. Next, the Canadian Government will actually make it a law that residents must use Mike Holmes. I'm sure he'll expand into energy audits.

As soon as us folks south of the border stop making laws allowing us to indiscriminately print money, maybe we'll have time for laws demanding Mike Holmes for homes as well.

Hopefully, by that time, my bated breath will be so for eternity.

Hmm,

From my point of view, he's just one more contractor that thinks constructon knowledge automatically makes him qualified to inspect homes. I'm just wondering how he expects to go around the country exposing all of those dastardly home inspectors when he won't be licensed to operate in about 34 of the 50 states.

It's a shame really; someone with that kind of media clout could really help this profession by inspiring inspectors; maybe even get enough young people interested in the profession that we could finally find a way to get degree-earning home inspection courses underway in colleges around the country. Instead, he spits in everyone's face and basically insults the entire profession.

I wonder if six months from now we'll see he and Nicky Boy all cuddled up together.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

There are some good sides to his recognition. He has started a charitable foundation that supports the training of youth in skilled trades. My concern is that since he is recognized by many here in Canada as the absolute authority on damn near everything AND he is a TV personality that makes his money off sponsors, I may be expected to use whatever tools are in his bag lest I be branded a charlatan. Don't get me wrong, I love buying tools if I think there is a use for them (I have a Surveymaster, a Fluke TiR, a Novasina Thermo-Hygrometer, etc) but I like to be the one deciding what I should be using.

What an interesting time to be a Canadian home inspector...

-Brad

I hate that his show was axed. I think it was the best show ever made for HI's to watch. He went in and looked at the symptoms and/or crummy work, then tore everything open so we could see exactly what was going on behind those walls and ceilings; great stuff!

I think he's going to find the going much more difficult when he can't do invasive inspections before putting the "facts" in a written report. Sellers aren't gonna go for that. And the first time he gets a significant "fact" wrong, his fame is gonna bite him hard in the butt. Lawyers love a celebrity lawsuit.

Brian G.

Purveyor of Both Facts & Opinions, Clearly Differentiated [^]

Brian hit the nail right on the head. This guy is a celebrity because he is an ass. I loved his show because he is an ass and his clients love him for it, it was great fun to watch. Sooner or later his personality is going to rubb someone the wrong way, and his celebrity status will make him an enormous target.

Tom

Pin the tail on the donkey anyone?

It doesn't appear "he" will be doing any of the inspecting. Maybe he will market, but those who call up asking for Mike Holmes will get a certified "Joe Schmoe" who will probably be litigated against and cut loose from the program, without any harm to Mike. Anybody can be a genius if they inspect a home with a sledgehammer...

This may turn out to be a good thing in the long run.

He may do more to educate the public about the do's and don'ts of hiring an inspector than anyone seems to have in the past.

Sooner or later he's going to have to address the conflicts of interest that many times result in less than a job well done.

I think it's long past time for a TV show about home inspectors.

Too many people still know very little about the process and the people that do, were likely educated in a real estate office or by a cameo appearance at the end of one of the "buy this house" shows

Love him or hate him, people will watch this Monday morning quarterback. I hope he does it right.

Is anyone here not going to watch?

Is It a conflict of interest if the realtors sponsor his show?

I think it's long past time for a TV show about home inspectors.

Too many people still know very little about the process and the people that do, were likely educated in a real estate office

If memory serves, there have already been at least two and possibly even three shows about home inspectors that have failed.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 1 month later...