Archtectural Shingles Installed At The Ridge

msteger

I am looking for suggestions for comments for architectural shingles installed at the ridge, instead of cut 3-tab or ridge shingles. I ran into this situation today, but the report comment I came up with explaining the situation and why it can be an issue sounds sort of dumb and not worth using, to put it nicely.

Any suggestions for a good comment about the condition and why is appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

Are you talking about architectural-grade shingles that have cut up into smaller pieces to cap the ridge or are you talking about the shingles going straight up and over the ridge without ridge cap shingles?

Did you take any pictures?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

At the peak of the roof, the roofer installed ridge cap shingles that he made himself by cutting up laminated field shingles. The shingle manufacturer specifically warns against doing this because the laminated shingles don't bend well. They'll be susceptible to cracking and wind damage and they look whack.

Remove and discard the improper materials and replace them with proper ridge cap shingles.

Thanks guys. Yep, the pictures from Randy pretty much show exactly what I am talking about. They looked like crap and parts were sticking up as they don't bend well and adhere properly. There was even a cupola over the garage and the little 1.5' x 1.5' peaked roof at the top of the cupola looked terrible, even from the driveway as one could see what looked like small patchwork of dozens and dozens little cut shingles.

We just had a new Certainteed architectural roof installed by a very reputable firm in our area. Actually the roofers are still here this morning finishing up. The shingles across the ridge vent and hips look uneven even from the street. They were cut on-site. I have been unable to determine if the roofers cut architectural shingles or 3 tab shingles for this purpose. Does the Certainteed manual indicate specifically that the accessory shingles should be used for hip and ridge areas to make them more pliable and resistant to cracking? I am a real estate agent and need to have this information available when I take this up with the company supervisor. Thanks for any input.

Hi,

The Certainteed Master Shingle Applicator says to use accessory shingles for those or cut caps from shingles with tab cutouts (3-tab) - not laminated shingles - the manual points out that the accessory shingles are far easier to use than cutting up tabbed shingles, which requires a total of 8 cuts per shingle to yield only 3 caps. There are supposed to be 24 scored accessory shingles in each bundle that will produce a total of 72 cap accessory shingles. They're easier to use because they're marked for alignment and positioning so it's hard to get them off-center or use too little or too much headlap.

You say they were cut on site; the accessory shingles come as a full shingle that's scored into thirds with the bottom edges notched so that when the three sections are separated from one another the corners are already nipped off and the tabs don't need to be trimmed.

If he cut those from laminated shingles, tell him he should go to the proctologist and get his eyes, ears and nose checked.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Thanks, Mike. This helps so much. I know they were cutting 3 tab shingles this morning for this purpose but can't tell what they used yesterday. One side of the house looks ok and the other side has shingle edges that appear ragged across the ridges and hips. I don't know if it was because there were different installers or if some used architectural and some used 3 tab shingles. If they did use 3 tab shingles all over (and we'll have to determine this) will they tend to smooth out as they are heated from the sun and become more pliable? Or should we insist that the supervisor who will be inspecting the project have the 3 tab shingles replaced with the accessory shingles if they were installed incorrectly? If they are replaced, will all the nail holes from the shingles there now need to be filled in? I know about toe boards and insisted that they not be used except as absolutely necessary. Also insisted that on the few that were used that the holes be filled in. The foreman said he'd never heard of anything like that!!! I've learned from the home inspectors as I attend all of my home inspections for properties in which I am involved as either the selling or listing agent. If they used 3 tab shingles and they were not aligned properly, can we ever expect them to be any better than what we're seeing right now?

It sounds like they might not have nipped off the corners and maybe didn't have consistent headlap. With one, you'll see the corners jutting up and with the other you'll see an uneven ridgeline. That's why the accessory shingles are marked so one can't screw up the alignment.

They might look better when the sun heats them up if they activate and adhere but I guess my question is whether they'll adhere. It's still too early here to expect them to activate properly, even on a sunny day. What are your daytime temps there right now?

If what they're doing today looks fine, find out if they'd used the accessory shingles that came out of the bundle for those and then point out now much better that ridge looks than the other and tell him how unhappy you are with the sloppy ridge and ask them to do it properly. If they strip the ridge cap off and put another one on properly the holes should not be an issue because they'll be covered up.

Glad to see that you're learning something from the home inspectors you've met.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Are you kidding? I love to go to the home inspections. I never fail to learn something and have been doing it for over ten years now. I'm just always afraid there will be something that will blow the deal apart but that is where I have to use my negotiation skills. Mike, I really appreciate your help with the shingle issue. The supervisor met me today and we agreed to let the shingles "set" for a couple of weeks to see if they relax. There was one place where the architectural shingles were used on the hip but all others were 3 tab. The architectural shingles are being removed and replaced in that area. I paid him half and will pay the other half when I am satisfied with the results. If I'm not satisfied, he has agreed to have all the hip and ridge shingles removed and replaced with Certainteed accessory shingles. Our temp today is in the 70's and really sunny so I should know within two weeks. Thanks again for your help.