Do you carry E&O insurance coverage?

• 3 weeks later...

When the Feds decide to file charges against the racketeers who run insurance companies I'll think about it. Until then I only buy coverage that is required, a little more if it is a bargain. My GL policy is a good example, for $16 more a year I more than quadrupled my coverage.

Tom

If only I could convince my wife that health insurance isn't manditory[:-banghea

• 6 months later...

I do not. I don't own anything. The tools and computer are the only thing the company owns so they would get them but nothing else. I had everything put into a trust that can not be touched. Al least that is what the lawyer says, and thats my daughter so nothing will be left if she is wrong.

I do not. I don't own anything. The tools and computer are the only thing the company owns so they would get them but nothing else. I had everything put into a trust that can not be touched. Al least that is what the lawyer says, and thats my daughter so nothing will be left if she is wrong.

What happens if you receive a large judgement against you? Can they not go after your future earnings?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

What happens if you receive a large judgement against you? Can they not go after your future earnings?

Could that be why businesses go under, and then start up under a different name?

Probably. But I'm not sure that it would work very well for a home inspector. If it's a high-stakes suit, the plaintiff is going to go after the business as well as the inspector personally.

- Jim in Oregon

I know we live in a litigous society but, if someone has the proclivity to to seek a legal remedy, wouldn't that someone be more likely to hire service providers that have assets worth seizing? Personaly, I think the big franchise, or the guy who advertises " Fully Insured" is a much better target than the little independent guy. Hopefully I'll never have to find out if I'm wrong.

Tom

• 9 months later...

Yup, association requirement, but have seen very few members who advertise it.

I'd never advertise it; it's an open invitation that says, "Hey, wanna sue somebody? Try me, there's a jillion moles that I might miss on an inspection that you can make a mountain out of and my carrier will settle-out-court just to get rid of you after I pay them my outrageous deductible."

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike