ASHI/NAHI Task Force Releases Status Update

hausdok

By Mike O'Handley - Editor, TIJ

As a result of a summit meeting in Chicago on February 20th, ASHI and NAHI have released a joint memo announcing their intention for the two associations to work together for the benefit and unification of the profession.

A memo released to their respective memberships on March 6th reads:

Representatives of the two preeminent professional home inspectors' organizations, ASHI and NAHI, met in Chicago on February 20, 2009. The joint venture task force worked through a deliberate process to discuss missions, stakeholders, similarities and differences, challenges, opportunities and strategic objectives. The joint task force agreed that the two organizations should work together for the benefit and unification of the profession. The task force agreed that having a unified voice of the profession is important.

ASHI and NAHI will be looking to their respective memberships for input regarding a joint education conference, collaboration of our chapters, and a possible unification.

Some of the benefits would be:

· Increased member services

· More efficient and effective uses of resources

· Greater market presence

· Enhanced image and prestige

· Stronger chapters

No outcomes have been reached and the memberships of both organizations will be surveyed to determine any future steps. Membership input and support will be a critical component of any continued effort.

The memorandum goes on to list the twelve task force members involved (six from each association) and states that anyone wishing more information about the task force should contact either Brion Grant at bcg@northlandhome.com or Jim Turner at jim@turnerinspections.com.

I understand that in theory competition is supposed to challenge the players to constantly improve to beat out the other team.

But even if every state has 2000 inspectors, that is only 100,000 total home inspectors. The real number is probably more like only 1000 or less inspectors per state. The goal of the organizations should be to influence legislation to improve the home inspection industry as a whole. Considering how few canidates there are to draw from, having multiple organizations at odds with each other only divides the money and dilutes the message to the public.

If there were to be one and only one organization, then the industry could grow to a profession with nationally recognized standards. A license in one state would be recognized in other states and one could move freely around the country plying our trade.

I don't see the need for mulitple little fiefdoms bickering with each other. Merge them all together and purge away all the silliness.

I understand that in theory competition is supposed to challenge the players to constantly improve to beat out the other team.

But even if every state has 2000 inspectors, that is only 100,000 total home inspectors. The real number is probably more like only 1000 or less inspectors per state. The goal of the organizations should be to influence legislation to improve the home inspection industry as a whole. Considering how few canidates there are to draw from, having multiple organizations at odds with each other only divides the money and dilutes the message to the public.

If there were to be one and only one organization, then the industry could grow to a profession with nationally recognized standards. A license in one state would be recognized in other states and one could move freely around the country plying our trade.

I don't see the need for mulitple little fiefdoms bickering with each other. Merge them all together and purge away all the silliness.

When business was good (2000- 2007) we had an estimated 45,000 home inspectors in the country. This came from a survey done by EBPHI in 2002 & 2004.

This did not take into account anyone who did not file with the IRS, did not have a website or listing in the phone book.

Right now I would say we have about 30,000+-

I sort of agree with what Bruce said - OT-OF.

But, generally I am not a fan of monopolistic situations. Unless I'm in charge of it. And that ain't gonna happen. So let's combine all the organizations into 2 groups: Two Teams - One Fight.

Doubt that will happen either. But I would hope that all/most of the existing organizations should at least be working together for legislation purposes. And some sort of mutually acceptable SOPs. Just my green and naive $0.02...

ASHI and NAHI will work it out. It would be silly not to. There should only be one organization.

ASHI/NAHI are democratically structured entities. Both have done plenty of dumb things, but they've both done way more good than bad, and they're both good organizations at base level.

Join 'em up. Why not?

Let the other organization do what it does; no one knows or thinks about it other than a few folks in this biz. It's been in an accelerating self destruct mode for years. Let it wither. Cripes, they're bringing in ex-cons as administrators, aren't they? It can't last.

But, generally I am not a fan of monopolistic situations. Unless I'm in charge of it. And that ain't gonna happen. So let's combine all the organizations into 2 groups: Two Teams - One Fight.

I would think that more can be done if there were two organizations fighting for one cause. So for the two to settle any differences that overall didn't add up to a hill of beans is great. But I agree with Jeremy that 2 organizations saying the same thing is better than one (if there is a merge).

If something is really bad for home inspectors, there might be another one or two HI organizations that jump in and help fight the fight.

• 1 month later...

I was just informed that the joint venture initiative is dead.

Yep...

NAHI pulled out of the talks and the task force was dissolved. No, reason was give by NAHI as to why they did not want to proceed any further. It should be noted that many ASHI chapters still welcome their NAHI counterparts at their meeting and some of those meetings are even joint meetings.