gas water vent close to house wall

CheckItOut

I can't seem to find my resource but I think the gas water heater vent needs to be at least two feet above any house wall within 10' horizontally. Does that sound right? Here is a pic from a new house I inspected today. No gable vent right next to it... that would be funny though.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009312224924_3-12-09%20011%20(Small).jpg

24.84 KB

I don't have the code cite, but if the B vent is within 8' of the sidewall, it must extend 2' above the upper roof line. (all based on memory).

Your memory serves you well.

2006 IRC

G2427.6.4 (503.6.4) Gas vent termination.

A gas vent shall terminate in accordance with one of the following:

1. Gas vents that are 12 inches (305 mm) or less in size and located not less than 8 feet (2438 mm) from a vertical wall or similar obstruction shall terminate above the roof in accordance with Figure G2427.6.4.

2. Gas vents that are over 12 inches (305 mm) in size or are located less than 8 feet (2438 mm) from a vertical wall or similar obstruction shall terminate not less than 2 feet (610 mm) above the highest point where they pass through the roof and not less than 2 feet (610 mm) above any portion of a building within 10 feet (3048 mm) horizontally.

Tim

[

2006 IRC

G2427.6.4 (503.6.4) Gas vent termination.

A gas vent shall terminate in accordance with one of the following:

1. Gas vents that are 12 inches (305 mm) or less in size and located not less than 8 feet (2438 mm) from a vertical wall or similar obstruction shall terminate above the roof in accordance with Figure G2427.6.4.

2. Gas vents that are over 12 inches (305 mm) in size or are located less than 8 feet (2438 mm) from a vertical wall or similar obstruction shall terminate not less than 2 feet (610 mm) above the highest point where they pass through the roof and not less than 2 feet (610 mm) above any portion of a building within 10 feet (3048 mm) horizontally.

Tim

Thanks Tim, that's the one.